Apr 12, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
Hall of Famer and arguably the greatest high school basketball coach of all time, Bob Hurley, Sr. told the Associated Press that he is open to taking over as head coach of Rutgers University, but on a short-term basis, if approached.
Hurley, 65, told The AP in a phone interview that he would be willing to take over the program as a caretaker, only for a year or two in an effort to stabilize the program. The Rutgers men’s basketball program is currently feeling aftermath of ESPN airing a video of head coach Mike Rice verbally and physically abusing players during practices. The scandal caused Rice to be fired and Director of Athletics Tim Pernetti to resign.
The St. Anthony High School (N.J.) coach has been encouraged by his wife, Chris and daughter, Melissa, to take the job if Rutgers called. Hurley has been a Division I coaching candidate in the past with one of the instances highlighted in Adrian Wojnarowski’s book, The Miracle of St. Anthony, when the St. John’s coaching job became available in 2003.
According to reports from earlier on Friday, Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan is being considered for the vacancy and could meet with university officials as early as Saturday.
Hurley has been at St. Anthony High School since 1972 and was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)