Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
Jamie Dixon landed his third commit for the Class of 2013 on Friday night.
Jamel Artis, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass. decided on Pittsburgh, which was a constant part of his recruitment over he last few seasons. The news was reported by Panther-Lair (subscription needed) and Edgar Walker, who tweeted it. Later was confirmed by Notre Dame Prep head coach Ryan Hurd via Twitter. Artis, a Baltimore native, had offers from La Salle, Miami (FL), Rutgers and South Florida.
This commitment continues the pipeline between Notre Dame Prep and Pittsburgh basketball. Over the last three seasons, Hurd has sent a a player to Dixon. Khem Birch, know with UNLV, committed in 2011 followed by Steven Adams in 2012. Pittsburgh always seemed the favorite to land Artis.
“Pitt was my main school,” Artis told Kevin Gorman of TribLive.com on Friday night. “Everybody else was just recruiting me, saying they loved my game but never really put in the effort. Pitt came to see me a couple times. I felt the love from them.”
For his size he has good handles and can get to the rim. Also is able to make plays with his ability to pass the ball. He joins power forward Mike Young and point guard Josh Newkirk as the Panthers incoming class.
Notre Dame Prep was investigated by the NCAA in Sept. 2012. The basketball powerhouse had two players from its Class of 2012 commit to Division I programs only to be ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA. This was Artis’ only season at Notre Dame Prep after transferring from Vermont Academy.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)