Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
Jamie Dixon landed his third commit for the Class of 2013 on Friday night.
Jamel Artis, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass. decided on Pittsburgh, which was a constant part of his recruitment over he last few seasons. The news was reported by Panther-Lair (subscription needed) and Edgar Walker, who tweeted it. Later was confirmed by Notre Dame Prep head coach Ryan Hurd via Twitter. Artis, a Baltimore native, had offers from La Salle, Miami (FL), Rutgers and South Florida.
This commitment continues the pipeline between Notre Dame Prep and Pittsburgh basketball. Over the last three seasons, Hurd has sent a a player to Dixon. Khem Birch, know with UNLV, committed in 2011 followed by Steven Adams in 2012. Pittsburgh always seemed the favorite to land Artis.
“Pitt was my main school,” Artis told Kevin Gorman of TribLive.com on Friday night. “Everybody else was just recruiting me, saying they loved my game but never really put in the effort. Pitt came to see me a couple times. I felt the love from them.”
For his size he has good handles and can get to the rim. Also is able to make plays with his ability to pass the ball. He joins power forward Mike Young and point guard Josh Newkirk as the Panthers incoming class.
Notre Dame Prep was investigated by the NCAA in Sept. 2012. The basketball powerhouse had two players from its Class of 2012 commit to Division I programs only to be ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA. This was Artis’ only season at Notre Dame Prep after transferring from Vermont Academy.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)