Apr 12, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
Ole Miss ended its season with a win over Florida in the SEC tournament championship game followed by an upset win in the NCAA tournament over fifth-seeded Wisconsin before being bounced by La Salle in the round of 32.
That seems to be enough for Ole Miss to lock up head coach Andy Kennedy with a multi-year extension. Sources told Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News that Kennedy is in line for a four-year extension, a deal that would also bump up his salary from $1.4 million to $1.75 million.
The four-year contract is the maximum a Mississippi state employee can receive under state laws.
Kennedy just finished his seventh season with the Rebels, amassing 152 victories during that stretch. During his tenure, Ole Miss has had 20-win seasons five times, including a 27-9 campaign this season, resulting in Kennedy’s first appearance in the NCAA tournament as the Ole Miss coach. The Rebels had appeared in NIT five times.
Kennedy had three seasons remaining on his previous deal.
Ole Miss was ranked as high as No. 16 in the AP poll this season and could return to the rankings in 2013-2014 with starters Ladarius White and Jarvis Summers coming back for junior seasons … and of course leading-scorer Marshall Henderson set to be back.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)