Apr 12, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
Ole Miss ended its season with a win over Florida in the SEC tournament championship game followed by an upset win in the NCAA tournament over fifth-seeded Wisconsin before being bounced by La Salle in the round of 32.
That seems to be enough for Ole Miss to lock up head coach Andy Kennedy with a multi-year extension. Sources told Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News that Kennedy is in line for a four-year extension, a deal that would also bump up his salary from $1.4 million to $1.75 million.
The four-year contract is the maximum a Mississippi state employee can receive under state laws.
Kennedy just finished his seventh season with the Rebels, amassing 152 victories during that stretch. During his tenure, Ole Miss has had 20-win seasons five times, including a 27-9 campaign this season, resulting in Kennedy’s first appearance in the NCAA tournament as the Ole Miss coach. The Rebels had appeared in NIT five times.
Kennedy had three seasons remaining on his previous deal.
Ole Miss was ranked as high as No. 16 in the AP poll this season and could return to the rankings in 2013-2014 with starters Ladarius White and Jarvis Summers coming back for junior seasons … and of course leading-scorer Marshall Henderson set to be back.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)