Apr 12, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
Danny Hurley is staying put at Rhode Island, and Rutgers has now turned its attention out west to Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan.
Yahoo! Sports and CBSSports.com are reporting that the school has offered the former Scarlet Knight the head coaching position. However, NJ.com is saying that the sides are just beginning discussions and the two sides are working on a time for Jordan to meet with school officials, which could be as early as Saturday.
As Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger points out, the Lakers in are a battle for a playoff spot and Jordan would need permission from head coach Mike D’Antoni. D’Alessandro went on to say that there is enthusiasm from both parties and the university would like to fill the position by the end of the week.
The Lakers are off Saturday.
Jordan had previously interviewed for the head coaching job in 2010, when Mike Rice was chosen by then-Director of Athletics, Tim Pernetti. Jordan has been an NBA head coach for three different teams — Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers — while serving as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets, when they won the Eastern Conference in 2002 and 2003.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)