Apr 12, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Danny Hurley is staying put at Rhode Island, and Rutgers has now turned its attention out west to Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan.
Yahoo! Sports and CBSSports.com are reporting that the school has offered the former Scarlet Knight the head coaching position. However, NJ.com is saying that the sides are just beginning discussions and the two sides are working on a time for Jordan to meet with school officials, which could be as early as Saturday.
As Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger points out, the Lakers in are a battle for a playoff spot and Jordan would need permission from head coach Mike D’Antoni. D’Alessandro went on to say that there is enthusiasm from both parties and the university would like to fill the position by the end of the week.
The Lakers are off Saturday.
Jordan had previously interviewed for the head coaching job in 2010, when Mike Rice was chosen by then-Director of Athletics, Tim Pernetti. Jordan has been an NBA head coach for three different teams — Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers — while serving as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets, when they won the Eastern Conference in 2002 and 2003.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)