Apr 12, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Danny Hurley is staying put at Rhode Island, and Rutgers has now turned its attention out west to Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan.
Yahoo! Sports and CBSSports.com are reporting that the school has offered the former Scarlet Knight the head coaching position. However, NJ.com is saying that the sides are just beginning discussions and the two sides are working on a time for Jordan to meet with school officials, which could be as early as Saturday.
As Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger points out, the Lakers in are a battle for a playoff spot and Jordan would need permission from head coach Mike D’Antoni. D’Alessandro went on to say that there is enthusiasm from both parties and the university would like to fill the position by the end of the week.
The Lakers are off Saturday.
Jordan had previously interviewed for the head coaching job in 2010, when Mike Rice was chosen by then-Director of Athletics, Tim Pernetti. Jordan has been an NBA head coach for three different teams — Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers — while serving as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets, when they won the Eastern Conference in 2002 and 2003.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)