Apr 12, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Danny Hurley is staying put at Rhode Island, and Rutgers has now turned its attention out west to Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan.
Yahoo! Sports and CBSSports.com are reporting that the school has offered the former Scarlet Knight the head coaching position. However, NJ.com is saying that the sides are just beginning discussions and the two sides are working on a time for Jordan to meet with school officials, which could be as early as Saturday.
As Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger points out, the Lakers in are a battle for a playoff spot and Jordan would need permission from head coach Mike D’Antoni. D’Alessandro went on to say that there is enthusiasm from both parties and the university would like to fill the position by the end of the week.
The Lakers are off Saturday.
Jordan had previously interviewed for the head coaching job in 2010, when Mike Rice was chosen by then-Director of Athletics, Tim Pernetti. Jordan has been an NBA head coach for three different teams — Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers — while serving as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets, when they won the Eastern Conference in 2002 and 2003.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)