Apr 12, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Danny Hurley is staying put at Rhode Island, and Rutgers has now turned its attention out west to Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan.
Yahoo! Sports and CBSSports.com are reporting that the school has offered the former Scarlet Knight the head coaching position. However, NJ.com is saying that the sides are just beginning discussions and the two sides are working on a time for Jordan to meet with school officials, which could be as early as Saturday.
As Dave D’Alessandro of the Star Ledger points out, the Lakers in are a battle for a playoff spot and Jordan would need permission from head coach Mike D’Antoni. D’Alessandro went on to say that there is enthusiasm from both parties and the university would like to fill the position by the end of the week.
The Lakers are off Saturday.
Jordan had previously interviewed for the head coaching job in 2010, when Mike Rice was chosen by then-Director of Athletics, Tim Pernetti. Jordan has been an NBA head coach for three different teams — Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers — while serving as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets, when they won the Eastern Conference in 2002 and 2003.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)