Apr 12, 2013, 9:42 PM EST
Rick Pitino will stick to his promise that he would get a tattoo if his team won the national championship. It didn’t take long for the future Hall of Fame to decide on what ink he would get when it came time to make good on his promise.
“I said it … not believing this was going to be a reality, but I am going to get it. I’m a man of my word,” Pitino said Tuesday on CBS This Morning.
“I’m going to get it on my left shoulder,” Pitino explained. “It will be a cardinal and it will say 2013 champions.”
On Friday afternoon more news came out about Pitino’s future tattoo. Pitino talked to Jim Rome about the future addition to his body and explained that Mike Marra’s brother, who is a tattoo artist would be the one that would give Pitino the tattoo. Marra sat out the entire season after his career in a Cardinal uniform was ended with a torn ACL before the season began. He will officially get inked in May, sometime around Marra’s graduation.
Pitino made the promise mid-season and informed the nation of the promise on stage moments after defeating Michigan.
“About 12 or 13 games ago, all of these guys, when they’d say hello, they’d say, ‘Get a tattoo,’” Pitino told CBS’ Jim Nantz after the game. “They said, if you win the national championship, you are getting a tattoo. I said, ‘Yeah, I am getting a tattoo.”
Louisville won 16 straight games, following a five overtime loss to Notre Dame on Feb. 9.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)