Apr 12, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo was suspended 23 games at the start of the season due to a violation of NCAA rules and the Texas Longhorns struggled in his absence.
Freshman Javan Felix was asked to shoulder more of the load than anticipated before the season began, and ultimately Texas finished the year with a 16-18 record.
The offseason became even more important for the Longhorns’ perimeter returnees Friday, as the school announced that Kabongo will enter the 2013 NBA Draft. Kabongo will forego his final two seasons of eligibility, ending his Texas career after just 45 games.
Kabongo played in just 11 games this season but his return came far too late for a program that sorely needed its leader given the young roster. Kabongo averaged 14.6 points, 5.5 assists and 5.0 rebounds per game this season, and despite the lack of action the Toronto native was named team MVP.
Head coach Rick Barnes now has to replace his top two scorers, as Sheldon McClellan announced his intentions to transfer a couple weeks ago. Guard Julien Lewis (11.3 ppg) is expected to return, and all three incoming recruits are perimeter players.
Point guards Isaiah Taylor and Kendal Yancy-Harris and shooting guard DeMarcus Croaker are all talented enough to compete for minutes, and frankly Texas will need that to be the case if they’re to avoid finishing below .500 for the second consecutive season.
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 0
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 2
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)