Apr 12, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo was suspended 23 games at the start of the season due to a violation of NCAA rules and the Texas Longhorns struggled in his absence.
Freshman Javan Felix was asked to shoulder more of the load than anticipated before the season began, and ultimately Texas finished the year with a 16-18 record.
The offseason became even more important for the Longhorns’ perimeter returnees Friday, as the school announced that Kabongo will enter the 2013 NBA Draft. Kabongo will forego his final two seasons of eligibility, ending his Texas career after just 45 games.
Kabongo played in just 11 games this season but his return came far too late for a program that sorely needed its leader given the young roster. Kabongo averaged 14.6 points, 5.5 assists and 5.0 rebounds per game this season, and despite the lack of action the Toronto native was named team MVP.
Head coach Rick Barnes now has to replace his top two scorers, as Sheldon McClellan announced his intentions to transfer a couple weeks ago. Guard Julien Lewis (11.3 ppg) is expected to return, and all three incoming recruits are perimeter players.
Point guards Isaiah Taylor and Kendal Yancy-Harris and shooting guard DeMarcus Croaker are all talented enough to compete for minutes, and frankly Texas will need that to be the case if they’re to avoid finishing below .500 for the second consecutive season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum led the way for the Americans.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Cal’s name seems to always pop up in the NBA.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It will be expanded into a full-length movie.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
South Florida brought in an experienced guard who can contribute after sitting out a transfer season.
Jun 28, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Maryland transfer Robert Carter has worked on his conditioning since arriving from Georgia Tech.
Jun 28, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
The USA U19 team is off to a 2-0 start at the FIBA World Championships.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)