Apr 12, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
National player of the year Trey Burke is still unsure whether he will stay in Ann Arbor for his junior season or leave for the NBA Draft. The Michigan point guard believes he could make that decision on Sunday.
“It’s still up in the air,” Burke said Friday on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “It’s a decision I’ll definitely be announcing here in the next couple days.”
Nick Baumgardner of MLive.com posted some of Burke’s answers from his appearance on ESPN Radio 710 AM in Los Angeles from Friday.
“I think that will be the day (Sunday) that I decide,” Burke the hosts of Mason and Ireland. “I think it’s time to make a decision so I can move forward and kind of get the (national title loss) in the past so I can move forward.”
He is in the process of talking everything over with his parents and Michigan head coach John Beilein while they are all out in Los Angeles as Burke receives the 2013 Wooden Award. Burke is unsure of where he will end up in the draft. He could be a top-10 pick or fall out of the lottery.
“I’ve been hearing different things, top 10 pick, mid first-round, things like that,” Burke said. “I really won’t know until the draft, really, there’s a lot that goes into this process. That’s why I feel like I need to take my time.
“A decision like this, you don’t want to make too quick of a decision. You want to make the right one and do what’s best for you and your future.”
This is one of many key decisions a Michigan Wolverine will make in the coming weeks. Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glenn Robinson III may also jump to the draft, following their fathers’ footsteps. The emergence of Mitch McGary in the NCAA tournament, also makes him a candidate to declare. The 6-foot-10 McGary has already backed off his statement that he would return for a sophomore year.
DraftExpress.com currently has Burke going No. 7 overall, making him the second point guard taken behind Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)