Apr 12, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
National player of the year Trey Burke is still unsure whether he will stay in Ann Arbor for his junior season or leave for the NBA Draft. The Michigan point guard believes he could make that decision on Sunday.
“It’s still up in the air,” Burke said Friday on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “It’s a decision I’ll definitely be announcing here in the next couple days.”
Nick Baumgardner of MLive.com posted some of Burke’s answers from his appearance on ESPN Radio 710 AM in Los Angeles from Friday.
“I think that will be the day (Sunday) that I decide,” Burke the hosts of Mason and Ireland. “I think it’s time to make a decision so I can move forward and kind of get the (national title loss) in the past so I can move forward.”
He is in the process of talking everything over with his parents and Michigan head coach John Beilein while they are all out in Los Angeles as Burke receives the 2013 Wooden Award. Burke is unsure of where he will end up in the draft. He could be a top-10 pick or fall out of the lottery.
“I’ve been hearing different things, top 10 pick, mid first-round, things like that,” Burke said. “I really won’t know until the draft, really, there’s a lot that goes into this process. That’s why I feel like I need to take my time.
“A decision like this, you don’t want to make too quick of a decision. You want to make the right one and do what’s best for you and your future.”
This is one of many key decisions a Michigan Wolverine will make in the coming weeks. Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glenn Robinson III may also jump to the draft, following their fathers’ footsteps. The emergence of Mitch McGary in the NCAA tournament, also makes him a candidate to declare. The 6-foot-10 McGary has already backed off his statement that he would return for a sophomore year.
DraftExpress.com currently has Burke going No. 7 overall, making him the second point guard taken behind Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)