Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
It was already a rough season for Purdue, now their forward depth is about to take a hit.
Jacob Lawson is transferring from the program, the Boilermakers announced on Friday. The 6-8, 217-pound Reidsville, N.C. native averaged 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds this season in West Lafayette.
He becomes the second player to leave the program this offseason for coach Matt Painter. Sandi Marcius left the program earlier in the week. Marcius played in 29 games this season, starting five.
Lawson played in 28 games this season with 10 starts. He had a season high of 10 points in a 68-61 victory over then-no. 11 Illinois on Jan. 2 and 11 rebounds in 66-56 victory over Ball State on Dec. 18. His playing time tailed off at the end of the season, however. He didn’t play in six of the last 15 games and in the nine games he did play in, Lawson played double-figure minutes just once, 12 in a blowout loss to then-no.1 Indiana.
It’s been a tough rebuilding year for Painter’s program. They finished 16-18 overall and 8-10 in the Big Ten. Losing a role player like Lawson isn’t in any way crippling to their hopes for 2013-14, but the Boilermakers will need more out of A.J. Hammons (10.6 points, six rebounds last year) and Travis Carroll (33 games played, two starts) next season. Purdue’s three-man 2013 recruiting class features no player over 6-5.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)