Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 AM EST
It was already a rough season for Purdue, now their forward depth is about to take a hit.
Jacob Lawson is transferring from the program, the Boilermakers announced on Friday. The 6-8, 217-pound Reidsville, N.C. native averaged 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds this season in West Lafayette.
He becomes the second player to leave the program this offseason for coach Matt Painter. Sandi Marcius left the program earlier in the week. Marcius played in 29 games this season, starting five.
Lawson played in 28 games this season with 10 starts. He had a season high of 10 points in a 68-61 victory over then-no. 11 Illinois on Jan. 2 and 11 rebounds in 66-56 victory over Ball State on Dec. 18. His playing time tailed off at the end of the season, however. He didn’t play in six of the last 15 games and in the nine games he did play in, Lawson played double-figure minutes just once, 12 in a blowout loss to then-no.1 Indiana.
It’s been a tough rebuilding year for Painter’s program. They finished 16-18 overall and 8-10 in the Big Ten. Losing a role player like Lawson isn’t in any way crippling to their hopes for 2013-14, but the Boilermakers will need more out of A.J. Hammons (10.6 points, six rebounds last year) and Travis Carroll (33 games played, two starts) next season. Purdue’s three-man 2013 recruiting class features no player over 6-5.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)