Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
It was already a rough season for Purdue, now their forward depth is about to take a hit.
Jacob Lawson is transferring from the program, the Boilermakers announced on Friday. The 6-8, 217-pound Reidsville, N.C. native averaged 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds this season in West Lafayette.
He becomes the second player to leave the program this offseason for coach Matt Painter. Sandi Marcius left the program earlier in the week. Marcius played in 29 games this season, starting five.
Lawson played in 28 games this season with 10 starts. He had a season high of 10 points in a 68-61 victory over then-no. 11 Illinois on Jan. 2 and 11 rebounds in 66-56 victory over Ball State on Dec. 18. His playing time tailed off at the end of the season, however. He didn’t play in six of the last 15 games and in the nine games he did play in, Lawson played double-figure minutes just once, 12 in a blowout loss to then-no.1 Indiana.
It’s been a tough rebuilding year for Painter’s program. They finished 16-18 overall and 8-10 in the Big Ten. Losing a role player like Lawson isn’t in any way crippling to their hopes for 2013-14, but the Boilermakers will need more out of A.J. Hammons (10.6 points, six rebounds last year) and Travis Carroll (33 games played, two starts) next season. Purdue’s three-man 2013 recruiting class features no player over 6-5.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)