Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
It was already a rough season for Purdue, now their forward depth is about to take a hit.
Jacob Lawson is transferring from the program, the Boilermakers announced on Friday. The 6-8, 217-pound Reidsville, N.C. native averaged 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds this season in West Lafayette.
He becomes the second player to leave the program this offseason for coach Matt Painter. Sandi Marcius left the program earlier in the week. Marcius played in 29 games this season, starting five.
Lawson played in 28 games this season with 10 starts. He had a season high of 10 points in a 68-61 victory over then-no. 11 Illinois on Jan. 2 and 11 rebounds in 66-56 victory over Ball State on Dec. 18. His playing time tailed off at the end of the season, however. He didn’t play in six of the last 15 games and in the nine games he did play in, Lawson played double-figure minutes just once, 12 in a blowout loss to then-no.1 Indiana.
It’s been a tough rebuilding year for Painter’s program. They finished 16-18 overall and 8-10 in the Big Ten. Losing a role player like Lawson isn’t in any way crippling to their hopes for 2013-14, but the Boilermakers will need more out of A.J. Hammons (10.6 points, six rebounds last year) and Travis Carroll (33 games played, two starts) next season. Purdue’s three-man 2013 recruiting class features no player over 6-5.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)