Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
It was already a rough season for Purdue, now their forward depth is about to take a hit.
Jacob Lawson is transferring from the program, the Boilermakers announced on Friday. The 6-8, 217-pound Reidsville, N.C. native averaged 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds this season in West Lafayette.
He becomes the second player to leave the program this offseason for coach Matt Painter. Sandi Marcius left the program earlier in the week. Marcius played in 29 games this season, starting five.
Lawson played in 28 games this season with 10 starts. He had a season high of 10 points in a 68-61 victory over then-no. 11 Illinois on Jan. 2 and 11 rebounds in 66-56 victory over Ball State on Dec. 18. His playing time tailed off at the end of the season, however. He didn’t play in six of the last 15 games and in the nine games he did play in, Lawson played double-figure minutes just once, 12 in a blowout loss to then-no.1 Indiana.
It’s been a tough rebuilding year for Painter’s program. They finished 16-18 overall and 8-10 in the Big Ten. Losing a role player like Lawson isn’t in any way crippling to their hopes for 2013-14, but the Boilermakers will need more out of A.J. Hammons (10.6 points, six rebounds last year) and Travis Carroll (33 games played, two starts) next season. Purdue’s three-man 2013 recruiting class features no player over 6-5.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)