Apr 13, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Tennessee got some good news on Saturday morning as Jordan McRae announced that he would be returning to school for his senior season.
McRae actually announced the news on Steven Pearl’s radio show, but the school put out a release a couple of minutes afterwards.
“I’m not ready for my experience at Tennessee to be over,” McRae said. “I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be a part of next year’s team, because I think we have a chance to have a great season. I also think there are aspects of my game I can improve by spending another year with my coaches and teammates here at Tennessee.”
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
“I’m happy that Jordan is coming back, and I also think he was smart to request an evaluation of his draft status after the season he had,” Vols head coach Cuonzo Martin added. “In the two years I’ve been here at Tennessee, I’ve been very impressed with Jordan’s development on and off the court. I think he has a chance to go down as one of the truly special players at UT if he continues to work like he has the past two years.
“Jordan is going to graduate, which is something that’s very important to him and his parents. It’s important to me as well. He’s setting himself up for a great future.”
McRae finished the season averaging 15.7 points, but he played his best basketball down the stretch of the season, doing everything he could to get Tennessee into NCAA tournament contention. He likely wasn’t going to be a first round pick.
The key now for Tennessee will be to get Jarnell Stokes back for his junior season. He’s currently 50-50 on entering the draft.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)