Apr 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Add a third player to the list of those leaving Indiana before graduation. This one to a transfer.
The Hoosiers announced that guard Remy Abell will leave the program to seek more playing time at another school.
“I am going to miss everyone,” Abell said in a release from the athletic department. “But I just feel at this time a fresh start and new opportunities are what is best in following God’s plan for me.”
A one-time Bradley commitment, Abell experienced a recruiting boom near the end of his career at Eastern High School in Louisville, Ky. and accepted a scholarship from coach Tom Crean. Over his two years with the program, Abell has averaged 3.5 points in 10.7 minutes per game. He saw a little more action this season than he did as a freshman, going from 8.3 to 12.5 minutes per game.
With the graduation of Jordan Hulls and Victor Oladipo choosing to forgo his final season in Bloomington for the NBA Draft, it was totally possible that Abell would’ve seen an increase in playing time as a junior. Though Crean has a solid 2013 recruiting class, with Stanford Robinson being the lone true point guard in the six-man class. Will Sheehey and Yogi Ferrell also return.
Abell was more than likely going to continue in his role as a reserve, had he stayed at IU. Can’t blame him for leaving. However, it’ll be interesting as to which schools get in the mix for Abell. He was always billed as a mid-major recruit until late in his high school career and taking that road for the final two years of his college career could bring positive results.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)