Apr 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Add a third player to the list of those leaving Indiana before graduation. This one to a transfer.
The Hoosiers announced that guard Remy Abell will leave the program to seek more playing time at another school.
“I am going to miss everyone,” Abell said in a release from the athletic department. “But I just feel at this time a fresh start and new opportunities are what is best in following God’s plan for me.”
A one-time Bradley commitment, Abell experienced a recruiting boom near the end of his career at Eastern High School in Louisville, Ky. and accepted a scholarship from coach Tom Crean. Over his two years with the program, Abell has averaged 3.5 points in 10.7 minutes per game. He saw a little more action this season than he did as a freshman, going from 8.3 to 12.5 minutes per game.
With the graduation of Jordan Hulls and Victor Oladipo choosing to forgo his final season in Bloomington for the NBA Draft, it was totally possible that Abell would’ve seen an increase in playing time as a junior. Though Crean has a solid 2013 recruiting class, with Stanford Robinson being the lone true point guard in the six-man class. Will Sheehey and Yogi Ferrell also return.
Abell was more than likely going to continue in his role as a reserve, had he stayed at IU. Can’t blame him for leaving. However, it’ll be interesting as to which schools get in the mix for Abell. He was always billed as a mid-major recruit until late in his high school career and taking that road for the final two years of his college career could bring positive results.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)