Apr 13, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
Last week, Craig ‘Noodles’ Neal was given the head coaching job at New Mexico that was left vacant when Steve Alford left for UCLA. Noodles had been on Alford’s staff dating back to the days when the two were coaching at Iowa, and his hiring may have prevented a mutiny in the ranks for the Lobos.
Keeping Alex Kirk and Kendall Williams and the rest of New Mexico’s talent from transferring was priority No. 1 for Neal, but 1a was getting his son, Cullen, to join him in Albuquerque.
Cullen Neal is a talented, 6-foot-4 point guard that averaged 26.5 points this season at El Dorado (NM) HS. He also signed a Letter of Intent to go to St. Mary’s, but according to a report from CBSSports.com, Neal has been given his release and will be attending UNM. Rivals ranks Neal as No. 150 in the Class of 2013.
This is big news for the Lobos, as it will help them offset the loss of Tony Snell. Neal isn’t quite as big, but he should be a more consistent shooter. And he’s certainly more versatile, which would allow Williams to spend time playing off of the ball.
He’ll be a valuable weapon for his dad.
(Image via Albuquerque Journal)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)