Apr 13, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Last week, Craig ‘Noodles’ Neal was given the head coaching job at New Mexico that was left vacant when Steve Alford left for UCLA. Noodles had been on Alford’s staff dating back to the days when the two were coaching at Iowa, and his hiring may have prevented a mutiny in the ranks for the Lobos.
Keeping Alex Kirk and Kendall Williams and the rest of New Mexico’s talent from transferring was priority No. 1 for Neal, but 1a was getting his son, Cullen, to join him in Albuquerque.
Cullen Neal is a talented, 6-foot-4 point guard that averaged 26.5 points this season at El Dorado (NM) HS. He also signed a Letter of Intent to go to St. Mary’s, but according to a report from CBSSports.com, Neal has been given his release and will be attending UNM. Rivals ranks Neal as No. 150 in the Class of 2013.
This is big news for the Lobos, as it will help them offset the loss of Tony Snell. Neal isn’t quite as big, but he should be a more consistent shooter. And he’s certainly more versatile, which would allow Williams to spend time playing off of the ball.
He’ll be a valuable weapon for his dad.
(Image via Albuquerque Journal)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)