Apr 13, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Last week, Craig ‘Noodles’ Neal was given the head coaching job at New Mexico that was left vacant when Steve Alford left for UCLA. Noodles had been on Alford’s staff dating back to the days when the two were coaching at Iowa, and his hiring may have prevented a mutiny in the ranks for the Lobos.
Keeping Alex Kirk and Kendall Williams and the rest of New Mexico’s talent from transferring was priority No. 1 for Neal, but 1a was getting his son, Cullen, to join him in Albuquerque.
Cullen Neal is a talented, 6-foot-4 point guard that averaged 26.5 points this season at El Dorado (NM) HS. He also signed a Letter of Intent to go to St. Mary’s, but according to a report from CBSSports.com, Neal has been given his release and will be attending UNM. Rivals ranks Neal as No. 150 in the Class of 2013.
This is big news for the Lobos, as it will help them offset the loss of Tony Snell. Neal isn’t quite as big, but he should be a more consistent shooter. And he’s certainly more versatile, which would allow Williams to spend time playing off of the ball.
He’ll be a valuable weapon for his dad.
(Image via Albuquerque Journal)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 1
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 6
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 6
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 67
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (67)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)