Apr 13, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Last week, Craig ‘Noodles’ Neal was given the head coaching job at New Mexico that was left vacant when Steve Alford left for UCLA. Noodles had been on Alford’s staff dating back to the days when the two were coaching at Iowa, and his hiring may have prevented a mutiny in the ranks for the Lobos.
Keeping Alex Kirk and Kendall Williams and the rest of New Mexico’s talent from transferring was priority No. 1 for Neal, but 1a was getting his son, Cullen, to join him in Albuquerque.
Cullen Neal is a talented, 6-foot-4 point guard that averaged 26.5 points this season at El Dorado (NM) HS. He also signed a Letter of Intent to go to St. Mary’s, but according to a report from CBSSports.com, Neal has been given his release and will be attending UNM. Rivals ranks Neal as No. 150 in the Class of 2013.
This is big news for the Lobos, as it will help them offset the loss of Tony Snell. Neal isn’t quite as big, but he should be a more consistent shooter. And he’s certainly more versatile, which would allow Williams to spend time playing off of the ball.
He’ll be a valuable weapon for his dad.
(Image via Albuquerque Journal)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)