Apr 13, 2013, 8:36 PM EST
Rutgers University will head into a new conference – the Big Ten – with a new head coach. Rutgers alum Eddie Jordan, previously a head coach of NBA teams in Washington, Sacramento and Philadelphia, has reportedly accepted the head coaching job at his alma mater, according to NJ.com. He comes to the Scarlet Knights from his current gig as an assistant coach for the L.A Lakers.
Jordan was the East Regional MVP for Rutgers in the 1976 Final Four, and holds school records for assists and steals. He served as an assistant at Rutgers for five years in the 1980s. Prior to his retirement from the NBA in 1984, Jordan also won a world championship as a Laker.
Jordan is known as a guru of the Princeton offense, and he should provide a solid defensive foundation for the Scarlet Knights as well.
Primarily, however, it will be Jordan’s job to stop the bleeding, as Rutgers continues to reel from the Mike Rice practice scandal. His reputation as a local legend and a solid coach with NBA connections should help Rutgers mine some of the talent in the New York/New Jersey area, as will the impending move to the rugged and nationally revered Big Ten conference.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)