Apr 13, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
What does an athletic department do after it wins a national title in women’s basketball, but was forced to sit out the postseason in men’s basketball? Why, change its logo, of course.
UConn unveiled their new logo recently, and the first thought that comes to mind is, it looks exactly like Houston Baptist’s. That’s not to say they ripped it off, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence. But it does. It’s been in the works for a bit.
The logo also looks like it’s laughing. Not snarling, barking or showing it’s teeth. In fact, it barely has teeth.
The new logo comes out of a marketing partnership between the school’s athletic department and Nike, which helped design it at no cost to the school. It is part of a larger effort to replace disparate logos used by different Husky teams.
The school says athletes and coaches had input into the design.
There seems to be a lot of logo changing recently, mainly in pro sports, so UConn is the first major college to alter its logo this year. It can’t hurt to do something like that. There’s a lot of buzz surrounding UConn right now, with coach Kevin Ollie receiving a contract extension after turning in a very solid season in his first at the helm despite having nothing to play for but pride when the postseason came around.
Now, the team will welcome former North Carolina State guard Rodney Purvis to the team when he becomes eligible for the 2014-15 season.
Not to mention the women’s recent success, pounding Louisville in the most lopsided victory in an NCAA women’s national championship game ever.
So the logo changes for UConn, but I wonder what those around the school and athletic program think of it?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)