Apr 13, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
What does an athletic department do after it wins a national title in women’s basketball, but was forced to sit out the postseason in men’s basketball? Why, change its logo, of course.
UConn unveiled their new logo recently, and the first thought that comes to mind is, it looks exactly like Houston Baptist’s. That’s not to say they ripped it off, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence. But it does. It’s been in the works for a bit.
The logo also looks like it’s laughing. Not snarling, barking or showing it’s teeth. In fact, it barely has teeth.
The new logo comes out of a marketing partnership between the school’s athletic department and Nike, which helped design it at no cost to the school. It is part of a larger effort to replace disparate logos used by different Husky teams.
The school says athletes and coaches had input into the design.
There seems to be a lot of logo changing recently, mainly in pro sports, so UConn is the first major college to alter its logo this year. It can’t hurt to do something like that. There’s a lot of buzz surrounding UConn right now, with coach Kevin Ollie receiving a contract extension after turning in a very solid season in his first at the helm despite having nothing to play for but pride when the postseason came around.
Now, the team will welcome former North Carolina State guard Rodney Purvis to the team when he becomes eligible for the 2014-15 season.
Not to mention the women’s recent success, pounding Louisville in the most lopsided victory in an NCAA women’s national championship game ever.
So the logo changes for UConn, but I wonder what those around the school and athletic program think of it?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)