Apr 13, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Ken Bone has a scholarship to fill.
Tanner Lancona, one of the top recruits in Washington State’s 2013 recruiting class, announced on Twitter on Friday that he has gotten his release from the national letter of intent he signed during the early signing period in November.
This is a big loss for the Cougars, who were going to need the 6-8 Lancona next season inside. He averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds for Tesoro (Calif.) High School and could’ve helped fill the hole left by the graduation of Brock Motum. Lancona was rated a three star recruit by Scout.com.
Just got my NLI release. I am officially no longer a Coug!!!#movingon
— tanner lancona (@tjlancona) April 12, 2013
Though Bone didn’t want to lose this target, it does however ease the scholarship burden on his program. The Cougs are now just one scholarship over the limit of 13 and will need to do some shuffling to get down to the NCAA-mandated limit.
Washington State now has three players in its 2013 recruiting class, including junior college point guard Danny Lawhorn. The program went 13-19 last season, 4-14 in the Pac-12. They also lost would-be senior point guard Reggie Moore prior to the season when he was kicked off the team.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)