Apr 13, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Ken Bone has a scholarship to fill.
Tanner Lancona, one of the top recruits in Washington State’s 2013 recruiting class, announced on Twitter on Friday that he has gotten his release from the national letter of intent he signed during the early signing period in November.
This is a big loss for the Cougars, who were going to need the 6-8 Lancona next season inside. He averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds for Tesoro (Calif.) High School and could’ve helped fill the hole left by the graduation of Brock Motum. Lancona was rated a three star recruit by Scout.com.
Just got my NLI release. I am officially no longer a Coug!!!#movingon
— tanner lancona (@tjlancona) April 12, 2013
Though Bone didn’t want to lose this target, it does however ease the scholarship burden on his program. The Cougs are now just one scholarship over the limit of 13 and will need to do some shuffling to get down to the NCAA-mandated limit.
Washington State now has three players in its 2013 recruiting class, including junior college point guard Danny Lawhorn. The program went 13-19 last season, 4-14 in the Pac-12. They also lost would-be senior point guard Reggie Moore prior to the season when he was kicked off the team.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)