Apr 13, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Power forward Will Yeguete, who gave the Florida Gators much of their toughness in this year’s run to the Elite Eight, may be facing off-season knee surgery.
Yeguete, a junior forward from Bordeaux, France, averaged 5.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals for the Gators. Never a great threat to score, he powered in 13 points in the regional final loss to Michigan.
The decision to have knee surgery is Yeguete’s alone, according to his head coach.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Yeguete dealt with the injury all season long, taking stop gap measures to ameliorate the swelling and pain.
But Yeguete could need more extensive offseason surgery as a long-term solution.
Yeguete averaged 22.3 minutes in the NCAA Tournament, but he did need fluid drained from his knee between the second and third games.
“(Surgery) is definitely an option that will be on the table that they’re really going to look and consider I think probably very strongly,” coach Billy Donovan said. “He’s going to have to make a decision.”
Yeguete may never be an offensive star for Florida, but his defensive presence will be a crucial part of the team’s postseason hopes in 2014. The Gators have made the Elite Eight in three consecutive seasons, and are hoping to break through to the Final Four and beyond.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)