Apr 13, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Power forward Will Yeguete, who gave the Florida Gators much of their toughness in this year’s run to the Elite Eight, may be facing off-season knee surgery.
Yeguete, a junior forward from Bordeaux, France, averaged 5.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals for the Gators. Never a great threat to score, he powered in 13 points in the regional final loss to Michigan.
The decision to have knee surgery is Yeguete’s alone, according to his head coach.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Yeguete dealt with the injury all season long, taking stop gap measures to ameliorate the swelling and pain.
But Yeguete could need more extensive offseason surgery as a long-term solution.
Yeguete averaged 22.3 minutes in the NCAA Tournament, but he did need fluid drained from his knee between the second and third games.
“(Surgery) is definitely an option that will be on the table that they’re really going to look and consider I think probably very strongly,” coach Billy Donovan said. “He’s going to have to make a decision.”
Yeguete may never be an offensive star for Florida, but his defensive presence will be a crucial part of the team’s postseason hopes in 2014. The Gators have made the Elite Eight in three consecutive seasons, and are hoping to break through to the Final Four and beyond.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)