Apr 13, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Power forward Will Yeguete, who gave the Florida Gators much of their toughness in this year’s run to the Elite Eight, may be facing off-season knee surgery.
Yeguete, a junior forward from Bordeaux, France, averaged 5.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals for the Gators. Never a great threat to score, he powered in 13 points in the regional final loss to Michigan.
The decision to have knee surgery is Yeguete’s alone, according to his head coach.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Yeguete dealt with the injury all season long, taking stop gap measures to ameliorate the swelling and pain.
But Yeguete could need more extensive offseason surgery as a long-term solution.
Yeguete averaged 22.3 minutes in the NCAA Tournament, but he did need fluid drained from his knee between the second and third games.
“(Surgery) is definitely an option that will be on the table that they’re really going to look and consider I think probably very strongly,” coach Billy Donovan said. “He’s going to have to make a decision.”
Yeguete may never be an offensive star for Florida, but his defensive presence will be a crucial part of the team’s postseason hopes in 2014. The Gators have made the Elite Eight in three consecutive seasons, and are hoping to break through to the Final Four and beyond.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)