Apr 13, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Power forward Will Yeguete, who gave the Florida Gators much of their toughness in this year’s run to the Elite Eight, may be facing off-season knee surgery.
Yeguete, a junior forward from Bordeaux, France, averaged 5.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals for the Gators. Never a great threat to score, he powered in 13 points in the regional final loss to Michigan.
The decision to have knee surgery is Yeguete’s alone, according to his head coach.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Yeguete dealt with the injury all season long, taking stop gap measures to ameliorate the swelling and pain.
But Yeguete could need more extensive offseason surgery as a long-term solution.
Yeguete averaged 22.3 minutes in the NCAA Tournament, but he did need fluid drained from his knee between the second and third games.
“(Surgery) is definitely an option that will be on the table that they’re really going to look and consider I think probably very strongly,” coach Billy Donovan said. “He’s going to have to make a decision.”
Yeguete may never be an offensive star for Florida, but his defensive presence will be a crucial part of the team’s postseason hopes in 2014. The Gators have made the Elite Eight in three consecutive seasons, and are hoping to break through to the Final Four and beyond.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)