Apr 14, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
The carousel that is conference realignment never seems to stop.
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com the Atlantic 10 is close to adding Davidson, with the Wildcats joining the conference in 2014.
Davidson, currently a member of the Southern Conference, was a target of the Colonial Athletic Association back in October but the school reportedly turned down an invite from the league.
Bob McKillop’s program has won four of the last seven Southern Conference tournament titles, including back-to-back crowns in 2012 and 2013.
The move to add Davidson may be a preemptive strike of sorts by A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade, with this news coming on the heels of the conference adding George Mason. The Patriots begin play in the A-10 in 2013, moving the conference to 13 members.
Four schools are leaving the Atlantic 10 this summer: Temple (American Athletic Conference), Charlotte (Conference USA), Butler and Xavier (Big East).
And with rumors that the Big East may ultimately go from ten to 12 members, adding Dayton and Saint Louis in 2014, Davidson would be the Atlantic 10’s twelfth member if that were to happen.
Goodman’s report also mentions that Siena, currently a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, is also under consideration for a spot in the A-10.
If Davidson were to leave it would be a major blow for the SoCon, which has already lost the College of Charleston to the CAA. The Cougars will play their inaugural season in the CAA this fall.
Also, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have announced their intentions to join the Sun Belt in 2014.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)