Apr 14, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
The carousel that is conference realignment never seems to stop.
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com the Atlantic 10 is close to adding Davidson, with the Wildcats joining the conference in 2014.
Davidson, currently a member of the Southern Conference, was a target of the Colonial Athletic Association back in October but the school reportedly turned down an invite from the league.
Bob McKillop’s program has won four of the last seven Southern Conference tournament titles, including back-to-back crowns in 2012 and 2013.
The move to add Davidson may be a preemptive strike of sorts by A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade, with this news coming on the heels of the conference adding George Mason. The Patriots begin play in the A-10 in 2013, moving the conference to 13 members.
Four schools are leaving the Atlantic 10 this summer: Temple (American Athletic Conference), Charlotte (Conference USA), Butler and Xavier (Big East).
And with rumors that the Big East may ultimately go from ten to 12 members, adding Dayton and Saint Louis in 2014, Davidson would be the Atlantic 10’s twelfth member if that were to happen.
Goodman’s report also mentions that Siena, currently a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, is also under consideration for a spot in the A-10.
If Davidson were to leave it would be a major blow for the SoCon, which has already lost the College of Charleston to the CAA. The Cougars will play their inaugural season in the CAA this fall.
Also, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have announced their intentions to join the Sun Belt in 2014.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 0
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)