Apr 14, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
The carousel that is conference realignment never seems to stop.
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com the Atlantic 10 is close to adding Davidson, with the Wildcats joining the conference in 2014.
Davidson, currently a member of the Southern Conference, was a target of the Colonial Athletic Association back in October but the school reportedly turned down an invite from the league.
Bob McKillop’s program has won four of the last seven Southern Conference tournament titles, including back-to-back crowns in 2012 and 2013.
The move to add Davidson may be a preemptive strike of sorts by A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade, with this news coming on the heels of the conference adding George Mason. The Patriots begin play in the A-10 in 2013, moving the conference to 13 members.
Four schools are leaving the Atlantic 10 this summer: Temple (American Athletic Conference), Charlotte (Conference USA), Butler and Xavier (Big East).
And with rumors that the Big East may ultimately go from ten to 12 members, adding Dayton and Saint Louis in 2014, Davidson would be the Atlantic 10′s twelfth member if that were to happen.
Goodman’s report also mentions that Siena, currently a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, is also under consideration for a spot in the A-10.
If Davidson were to leave it would be a major blow for the SoCon, which has already lost the College of Charleston to the CAA. The Cougars will play their inaugural season in the CAA this fall.
Also, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have announced their intentions to join the Sun Belt in 2014.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Len Bias among inductees in Maryland’s 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame class (2)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)