Apr 14, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
One issue a new head coach does not want to have to deal with upon his arrival is player discipline.
Unfortunately for new Siena head coach Jimmy Patsos, that’s exactly what he’ll have to deal with as one of his new players has reportedly run afoul of the law.
Redshirt sophomore guard Rakeem Brookins was arrested Friday evening on charges of burglary according to the Albany Times Union due to his possession of a stolen wallet. Brookins was charged with second degree burglary and fourth-degree grand larceny, with both charges being felonies.
According to the report a defendant is charged with grand larceny if they are found in possession of a stolen credit or debit card. Brookins was released after posting bail, which was set at $12,500.
Brookins, who missed the entire 2011-12 season with a back injury, played in just 20 games for the Saints this season due to both injuries and a three-game suspension for a violation of athletic department policy. The Philadelphia native averaged 11.3 points, 2.3 assists and 2.0 rebounds per game for the Saints, who finished the season with a 8-24 record (4-14 MAAC).
Siena’s rotation for the 2013-14 season has already taken one blow as sophomore guard Evan Hymes has decided to transfer, and the Saints will also need to account for the loss of national rebounding leader O.D. Anosike.
However the Saints are expected to add Maurice White (St. Frances Academy/Baltimore, Md.) to the mix, as the 6-3 guard who originally committed to Loyola (MD) will reportedly follow Patsos to Siena.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)