Apr 14, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
(UPDATED: Burke made it official on Sunday. He’s off to the NBA.)
Trey Burke, the national player of the year and Michigan star, may be going pro. He’s announced that he will announce something further on Sunday, at least.
Burke is a point guard who can shoot. Like, really, really shoot, and he should be a hot commodity as an NBA prospect after his performance in the NCAA tournament, which ended for the Wolverines in a title game loss to Louisville.
DraftExpress has Burke slotted in as a lottery pick, possibly going seventh. Burke could have gone pro last season, but there’s little denying that his performance this season improved his draft stock.
Burke averaged 18.6 points – almost four points more than he did as a freshman – and 6.7 assists last season. He led the Wolverines to the NCAA championship game for the first time in two decades. The 6-foot, 190-pound point guard thought about going pro a year ago after helping Michigan win its first Big Ten title since 1986, but chose to come back to campus for his sophomore season.
Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart is, thus far, considered to be the only point guard who may go ahead of Burke, should he declare he is going to the NBA.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)