Apr 14, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
(UPDATED: Burke made it official on Sunday. He’s off to the NBA.)
Trey Burke, the national player of the year and Michigan star, may be going pro. He’s announced that he will announce something further on Sunday, at least.
Burke is a point guard who can shoot. Like, really, really shoot, and he should be a hot commodity as an NBA prospect after his performance in the NCAA tournament, which ended for the Wolverines in a title game loss to Louisville.
DraftExpress has Burke slotted in as a lottery pick, possibly going seventh. Burke could have gone pro last season, but there’s little denying that his performance this season improved his draft stock.
Burke averaged 18.6 points – almost four points more than he did as a freshman – and 6.7 assists last season. He led the Wolverines to the NCAA championship game for the first time in two decades. The 6-foot, 190-pound point guard thought about going pro a year ago after helping Michigan win its first Big Ten title since 1986, but chose to come back to campus for his sophomore season.
Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart is, thus far, considered to be the only point guard who may go ahead of Burke, should he declare he is going to the NBA.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)