Apr 14, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
(UPDATED: Burke made it official on Sunday. He’s off to the NBA.)
Trey Burke, the national player of the year and Michigan star, may be going pro. He’s announced that he will announce something further on Sunday, at least.
Burke is a point guard who can shoot. Like, really, really shoot, and he should be a hot commodity as an NBA prospect after his performance in the NCAA tournament, which ended for the Wolverines in a title game loss to Louisville.
DraftExpress has Burke slotted in as a lottery pick, possibly going seventh. Burke could have gone pro last season, but there’s little denying that his performance this season improved his draft stock.
Burke averaged 18.6 points – almost four points more than he did as a freshman – and 6.7 assists last season. He led the Wolverines to the NCAA championship game for the first time in two decades. The 6-foot, 190-pound point guard thought about going pro a year ago after helping Michigan win its first Big Ten title since 1986, but chose to come back to campus for his sophomore season.
Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart is, thus far, considered to be the only point guard who may go ahead of Burke, should he declare he is going to the NBA.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 1
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)