Apr 14, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Demetrius Harris is looking to become the next undersized power forward that trades in his Jordans for football spikes.
As a senior with UW-Milwaukee, Harris averaged 9.1 points and 5.3 boards, hitting just over 44% of his free throws for a team that went 8-24 in the Horizon League. That’s not exactly a way to earn the eyes of NBA scouts, especially when you stand just over 6-foot-5 and weigh close to 240 lbs.
But that is the way to draw the attention of the NFL, especially when you were an all-state football player as a high schooler in Arkansas.
According to a report from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, more than a dozen NFL teams have taken interest in Harris, including the Kansas City Chiefs:
Chiefs area scout Ryan Kessenich, a Madison native and 2006 graduate of UWM, put Harris through his paces April 5 on campus at Engelmann Field, the Panthers’ soccer stadium, and the Klotsche Center.
According to the Chiefs, Harris ran 40 yards in 4.52 seconds to go with a vertical jump of 36½ inches and a broad jump of 10-2.
“Like I told all the (NFL) coaches, if you want him to shoot free throws, that’s not your man. But if you want him to catch a football, he can do that,” head coach Rob Jeter said. “I think he was a football player all along and we were trying to make him a basketball player.”
Undersized power forwards are the best tight ends prospects. Ask Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates. Could Harris end up being the next member of that pipeline?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)