Apr 15, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Days after Purdue lost a forward to transfer, now they lose a guard.
Anthony Johnson has asked for and received a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Boilermakers’ program. The team announced Jacob Lawson would transfer from the program on Friday and Sandi Marcius also decided to leave the program as well earlier in the off-season.
The 6-3, 191-pound Chicago native averaged 4.9 points, 2.9 rebounds and shot 36.2-percent from the field last season.
“Anthony has been a valued member of our program over the last three years,” coach Matt Painter said in a statement. “We wish him nothing but the best as he moves into the next chapter of his life.”
Purdue was incredibly young this season — the roster featured seven freshman or sophomores and they went 16-18 as a result — and while Johnson, a redshirt sophomore this year, was part of that group, minutes were going to be at a minimum next season with guards like Raphael Davis (5.7 points per game) and Ronnie (10.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, four assists per game) and Terone Johnson (a team-leading 13.5 points) coming back. Purdue also features and three-man recruiting class, all guards.
Anthony Johnson had a season-high of 14 points against Hofstra on Nov. 11.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)