Apr 15, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
Days after Purdue lost a forward to transfer, now they lose a guard.
Anthony Johnson has asked for and received a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Boilermakers’ program. The team announced Jacob Lawson would transfer from the program on Friday and Sandi Marcius also decided to leave the program as well earlier in the off-season.
The 6-3, 191-pound Chicago native averaged 4.9 points, 2.9 rebounds and shot 36.2-percent from the field last season.
“Anthony has been a valued member of our program over the last three years,” coach Matt Painter said in a statement. “We wish him nothing but the best as he moves into the next chapter of his life.”
Purdue was incredibly young this season — the roster featured seven freshman or sophomores and they went 16-18 as a result — and while Johnson, a redshirt sophomore this year, was part of that group, minutes were going to be at a minimum next season with guards like Raphael Davis (5.7 points per game) and Ronnie (10.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, four assists per game) and Terone Johnson (a team-leading 13.5 points) coming back. Purdue also features and three-man recruiting class, all guards.
Anthony Johnson had a season-high of 14 points against Hofstra on Nov. 11.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (5)