Apr 15, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
Days after Purdue lost a forward to transfer, now they lose a guard.
Anthony Johnson has asked for and received a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Boilermakers’ program. The team announced Jacob Lawson would transfer from the program on Friday and Sandi Marcius also decided to leave the program as well earlier in the off-season.
The 6-3, 191-pound Chicago native averaged 4.9 points, 2.9 rebounds and shot 36.2-percent from the field last season.
“Anthony has been a valued member of our program over the last three years,” coach Matt Painter said in a statement. “We wish him nothing but the best as he moves into the next chapter of his life.”
Purdue was incredibly young this season — the roster featured seven freshman or sophomores and they went 16-18 as a result — and while Johnson, a redshirt sophomore this year, was part of that group, minutes were going to be at a minimum next season with guards like Raphael Davis (5.7 points per game) and Ronnie (10.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, four assists per game) and Terone Johnson (a team-leading 13.5 points) coming back. Purdue also features and three-man recruiting class, all guards.
Anthony Johnson had a season-high of 14 points against Hofstra on Nov. 11.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)