Apr 15, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Marquette announced Monday afternoon that forward Juan Anderson is leaving the program and will transfer.
Anderson, a sophomore this season, reportedly will try to get closer to his Oakland, Calif. home.
In his two seasons with the Golden Eagles, Anderson averaged less than two points per game, finishing the 2012-13 season at 2.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and shooting 33 percent from the field.
“I really enjoyed my time here and learned a lot that will be beneficial to my life after basketball,” Anderson said in a university-released statement. “My family is very important to me, and moving closer to them is something I need to do at this time.”
Anderson scored a season-high nine points in wins over North Carolina Central and Providence this season. He’s the third Marquette player to transfer from the program this off-season, joining Jamal Ferguson and Jake Thomas.
He got decent playing time this year, playing at least 15 minutes in 15 games and at least 10 in an additional 11 contests, but the 6-6 Anderson never became a factor with players like Davante Gardner, Jamil Wilson and Trent Lockett in front of him. Gardner, Wilson and Chris Otule are all coming back, so that would further muck-up the odds that Anderson got much more playing time on the wing or at a forward spot.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)