Apr 15, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
Marquette announced Monday afternoon that forward Juan Anderson is leaving the program and will transfer.
Anderson, a sophomore this season, reportedly will try to get closer to his Oakland, Calif. home.
In his two seasons with the Golden Eagles, Anderson averaged less than two points per game, finishing the 2012-13 season at 2.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and shooting 33 percent from the field.
“I really enjoyed my time here and learned a lot that will be beneficial to my life after basketball,” Anderson said in a university-released statement. “My family is very important to me, and moving closer to them is something I need to do at this time.”
Anderson scored a season-high nine points in wins over North Carolina Central and Providence this season. He’s the third Marquette player to transfer from the program this off-season, joining Jamal Ferguson and Jake Thomas.
He got decent playing time this year, playing at least 15 minutes in 15 games and at least 10 in an additional 11 contests, but the 6-6 Anderson never became a factor with players like Davante Gardner, Jamil Wilson and Trent Lockett in front of him. Gardner, Wilson and Chris Otule are all coming back, so that would further muck-up the odds that Anderson got much more playing time on the wing or at a forward spot.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)