Apr 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
The big news from over the weekend was that disgraced ex-Rutgers coach Mike Rice has resurfaced … as the coach of an AAU team for 12 year old girls. That team is part of the New Jersey ShoreShots program.
It went viral went Brian Geltzeiler’s tweets about a game were picked up by Deadspin, and they created a mini-firestorm when they did what Deadspin does. In reality, this isn’t a new situation; Rice has been coaching this team since he became the head coach at Rutgers. A source confirmed that information to NBCSports.com.
The parents of the girls on the team support Rice, and that’s probably because Rice is one of those parents. His daughter is a member of the team that he is coaching, according to that source. He’s been doing it for a couple of years.
“He’s been coaching his daughter’s team for years and for it to get out now is wrong, especially when what was said was inaccurate,” the source said.
“The Deadspin report is a gross misrepresentation of the facts,” a source close to the AAU team told SNY.tv. “The team’s parents are fully behind Coach Rice and his instruction of their daughters.”
Personally, I don’t have an issue with this as long as the parents don’t have an issue with it. Rice may be a lunatic, but I think he understands the difference between coaching a team that plays in the Big East and a team filled with girls in Middle School. At that age, parents still attend practices, as well, and I can’t imagine that there is anyone in the world that would be OK with a coach calling their 12 year old daughter a sissy or firing a basketball at her.
That said, the reason that Rice was fired in the first place was because of the moral outrage and the online pressure that built up when the video of his practice antics went viral. I can’t imagine that he’ll be long for this gig as word of it spreads throughout the blogosphere.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)