Apr 15, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
Torn ACL and all, Nerlens Noel announced on Monday morning that he would be entering his name into the NBA Draft.
“I have loved my time at Kentucky, but I feel that I’m ready to take the next step to the NBA,” Noel said in a statement released by the University. “I’ve learned so much here at UK and am thankful for Coach (John) Calipari, the staff and my teammates for all of their support. I especially appreciate the Big Blue Nation and all of the support, prayers and well-wishes I’ve received from them during my rehab and decision-making process. I’ll always be a Wildcat!”
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Noel could very well end up being the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft this June. In fact, I’m not sure there’s much of a discussion here. Noel is far and away the best prospect in this draft, and if there’s anything that we’ve learned from guys like Adrian Peterson and Branden Dawson, it’s that a torn ACL is anything but a career-damaging injury.
And remember, Coach Cal runs a ‘players-first’ program. If Noel has a shot at going No. 1, he wasn’t ever going to be coming back to school.
I wonder how much he regrets reclassifying to enter college in the Class of 2012? Imagine the 2013 Kentucky recruiting class if it also included Noel.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)