Apr 15, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
For the second time in four days the Green Bay Press Gazette is reporting that a parent of a member of the Wisconsin-Green Bay basketball team has sent a letter to university chancellor Thomas Harden to complain about mistreatment by head coach Brian Wardle.
Last week, it was the parent of former walk-on Ryan Bross. Bross spent his freshman season as a member of the Pheonix, but has since transferred to Concordia (WI). He’s the fourth member of the team to leave the program since February.
The complaint made by Bross’ family has not been made public, but Gina Cougill, the mother of Brennan Cougill, allowed the paper to view her letter.
Gina decided to make her complaint public after hearing about the investigation into the complaint made by Bross. Brennan declined to comment specifically on the issues he had with Wardle, but he did say that he wanted to publicly support Bross and that “he has proof behind everything he is saying”.
Among the issues addressed in the letter was Gina Cougill’s assertion that her son’s clinical depression was categorized by Wardle as a distraction to the team. She added that Brennan’s experience pales in comparison to what other players have been subjected to.
“I do believe other families have bigger issues than what mine are,” Gina Cougill said in an interview. “I have wrist slaps. They have legitimate gripes.”
Gina Cougill goes into detail about the issues that she has with the way her son was treated. An investigation was opened up by the university after the initial complaint, and that is still ongoing.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)