Apr 15, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Virginia found themselves sitting on the wrong side of the bubble this season, but with a slew of talent returning, next season was supposed to be Tony Bennett’s breakthrough season in Charlottesville.
Those hopes took a bit of a hit on Monday, when Virginia announced in a release that Paul Jesperson would be transferring out of the program.
“I would really like to thank my coaches, teammates and all of my supporters for the opportunity I had at UVa,” Jesperson said in the release. “They made my time here unforgettable and I’m extremely grateful for that. I wish them the best and I’m looking forward to continuing my college career at my new school.”
Jesperson is the fifth player to transfer out of Virginia since Bennett arrived in 2009. He started 33 of the ‘Hoos 35 games as a sophomore, but averaged just 4.7 points. With Joe Harris and Justin Anderson back next season, and Malcolm Brogdon returning after a redshirt year, UVa’s perimeter attack was starting to get a bit crowded.
Jesperson will have two seasons of eligibility left after sitting out 2013-2014 for his transfer year.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)