Apr 15, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Virginia found themselves sitting on the wrong side of the bubble this season, but with a slew of talent returning, next season was supposed to be Tony Bennett’s breakthrough season in Charlottesville.
Those hopes took a bit of a hit on Monday, when Virginia announced in a release that Paul Jesperson would be transferring out of the program.
“I would really like to thank my coaches, teammates and all of my supporters for the opportunity I had at UVa,” Jesperson said in the release. “They made my time here unforgettable and I’m extremely grateful for that. I wish them the best and I’m looking forward to continuing my college career at my new school.”
Jesperson is the fifth player to transfer out of Virginia since Bennett arrived in 2009. He started 33 of the ‘Hoos 35 games as a sophomore, but averaged just 4.7 points. With Joe Harris and Justin Anderson back next season, and Malcolm Brogdon returning after a redshirt year, UVa’s perimeter attack was starting to get a bit crowded.
Jesperson will have two seasons of eligibility left after sitting out 2013-2014 for his transfer year.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)