Apr 15, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Virginia found themselves sitting on the wrong side of the bubble this season, but with a slew of talent returning, next season was supposed to be Tony Bennett’s breakthrough season in Charlottesville.
Those hopes took a bit of a hit on Monday, when Virginia announced in a release that Paul Jesperson would be transferring out of the program.
“I would really like to thank my coaches, teammates and all of my supporters for the opportunity I had at UVa,” Jesperson said in the release. “They made my time here unforgettable and I’m extremely grateful for that. I wish them the best and I’m looking forward to continuing my college career at my new school.”
Jesperson is the fifth player to transfer out of Virginia since Bennett arrived in 2009. He started 33 of the ‘Hoos 35 games as a sophomore, but averaged just 4.7 points. With Joe Harris and Justin Anderson back next season, and Malcolm Brogdon returning after a redshirt year, UVa’s perimeter attack was starting to get a bit crowded.
Jesperson will have two seasons of eligibility left after sitting out 2013-2014 for his transfer year.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)