Apr 16, 2013, 9:39 AM EST
It’s not often that you see a player get suspended for the remainder of the season and return to the team the following year. Generally speaking, that suspension is usually a way of kicking someone off the team or forcing the player to transfer or go pro.
Many thought that would be the case with St. John’s guard D’Angelo Harrison, who was suspended on March 1st and missed the final six games of the season. But both Harrison and head coach Steve Lavin told reporters on Monday that the plan is for Harrison to return next season.
“[Harrison’s] gotten off to a strong start, both in his response to the suspension and in his academic and workout responsibilities as well,” coach Steve Lavin said Monday evening. “Couldn’t be more pleased for this stage of the process, in terms of him working his way back into the fold.”
Harrison, who averaged 17.8 points as a sophomore, later said that his suspension was the result of a string of smaller issues and insubordination. “I just violated a bunch of team rules,” things like being late for a bus or not shaving on game day, he said.
The other big news for the Johnnies is that Jakarr Sampson, the Big East Rookie of the Year, has decided to return to school instead of head to the NBA. He averaged 14.9 points and 6.7 boards this season, and when combined with the addition of Orlando Sanchez and top 30 recruit Rysheed Jordan, the Johnnies might have a team capable of making a run at a tournament bid in 2014.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)