Apr 16, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
We all knew that Ronald Nored would eventually wind up in the collegiate coaching ranks. It wasn’t even a matter of when; it was simply how soon.
The answer? Now.
Nored, the former Butler guard and Brownsburg (IN) HS head coach, has been hired by Matthew Graves, a Butler alumni himself and the new head coach at South Alabama. Graves was a member of the Butler staff when Nored was a player there.
“I am extremely excited for the opportunity to join Coach Graves’ staff,” Nored said in a statement released by the school. “In the four years I played for him I saw his unbelievable knowledge and dedication to make us the best we can be. I look forward to being a part of a staff that does things the right way, and allows young men to become better basketball players and people.”
“Ron is the best leader that I have ever coached,” Graves said. “His ability to raise the energy level by simply walking in the room is amazing. He will be an outstanding role model for our student-athletes.”
Few will disagree with the notion that Nored is going to be a terrific coach one day. He play in both of Butler’s national title game appearances, but he was never the star of the team or the face of the program. That honor was bestowed upon Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward.
Nored was the defender. He was the leader. He was the coach on the floor. He was the heart and soul of those two teams. Take any sports cliche you want, and it probably fits Nored to a ‘T’.
(Image via South Alabama athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)