Apr 16, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
We all knew that Ronald Nored would eventually wind up in the collegiate coaching ranks. It wasn’t even a matter of when; it was simply how soon.
The answer? Now.
Nored, the former Butler guard and Brownsburg (IN) HS head coach, has been hired by Matthew Graves, a Butler alumni himself and the new head coach at South Alabama. Graves was a member of the Butler staff when Nored was a player there.
“I am extremely excited for the opportunity to join Coach Graves’ staff,” Nored said in a statement released by the school. “In the four years I played for him I saw his unbelievable knowledge and dedication to make us the best we can be. I look forward to being a part of a staff that does things the right way, and allows young men to become better basketball players and people.”
“Ron is the best leader that I have ever coached,” Graves said. “His ability to raise the energy level by simply walking in the room is amazing. He will be an outstanding role model for our student-athletes.”
Few will disagree with the notion that Nored is going to be a terrific coach one day. He play in both of Butler’s national title game appearances, but he was never the star of the team or the face of the program. That honor was bestowed upon Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward.
Nored was the defender. He was the leader. He was the coach on the floor. He was the heart and soul of those two teams. Take any sports cliche you want, and it probably fits Nored to a ‘T’.
(Image via South Alabama athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)