Apr 16, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
We all knew that Ronald Nored would eventually wind up in the collegiate coaching ranks. It wasn’t even a matter of when; it was simply how soon.
The answer? Now.
Nored, the former Butler guard and Brownsburg (IN) HS head coach, has been hired by Matthew Graves, a Butler alumni himself and the new head coach at South Alabama. Graves was a member of the Butler staff when Nored was a player there.
“I am extremely excited for the opportunity to join Coach Graves’ staff,” Nored said in a statement released by the school. “In the four years I played for him I saw his unbelievable knowledge and dedication to make us the best we can be. I look forward to being a part of a staff that does things the right way, and allows young men to become better basketball players and people.”
“Ron is the best leader that I have ever coached,” Graves said. “His ability to raise the energy level by simply walking in the room is amazing. He will be an outstanding role model for our student-athletes.”
Few will disagree with the notion that Nored is going to be a terrific coach one day. He play in both of Butler’s national title game appearances, but he was never the star of the team or the face of the program. That honor was bestowed upon Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward.
Nored was the defender. He was the leader. He was the coach on the floor. He was the heart and soul of those two teams. Take any sports cliche you want, and it probably fits Nored to a ‘T’.
(Image via South Alabama athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)