Apr 16, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Before Elijah Johnson was the goat in Kansas’ loss to Michigan in the Sweet 16 last month, he was the hero as he scored 39 points — including eight in a 32 second span to force overtime — in a 108-96 win over Iowa State in Hilton Coliseum.
It was, without a doubt, one of the most impressive individual performances of the season, not only because of what Johnson did — all told, he scored 18 points and was responsible for all 21 in a game-winning, 21-9 run that spanned the end of regulation and the start of overtime — but because it came at a time when Johnson was mired in just a horrific shooting slump.
Perhaps what made the game all the more memorable was that the Kansas win was aided by a blown call at the end of regulation. Georges Niang appeared to have drawn a clear charge, but was called for a block that changed the outcome of the game. Two officials were eventually disciplined for it. It was a big deal.
And it caused us to overlook another talking point in the game: Johnson’s final bucket came on a breakaway dunk in the final seconds after Iowa State had conceded. Cyclone fans were not happy, and police were forced in investigate death threats sent towards Johnson.
After the buzzer sounded, there was even one Iowa State fan that appeared to confront Bill Self.
And Self let Johnson know about it in the team banquet:
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)