Apr 17, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
Kevin Olekaibe looked like he had a shot to be an all-Mountain West first-teamer after averaging 17.8 points as a sophomore in Fresno State’s final season in the WAC.
But thanks to an offseason arm injury, Olekaibe stuggled throughout his junior season. In his first year as a player in the MWC, Olekaibe finished averaging just 8.3 points, the lowest of his career.
And now, the junior has decided to transfer out of Rodney Terry’s program and will use his final season of eligibility elsewhere.
“First of all, I want to thank the fans,” Olekaibe said in a release. “Since I’ve been here everyone has given me support. This decision was a hard one, but I’ve got the support of my coaches and teammates as I do what I have to in order to expand my game – playing with the ball more, developing my skills as a point guard, distributing the ball and not just being one-dimensional. One of the main reasons that I had to make this tough decision is so that I can be closer to home and be with my family more. I’ve appreciated the time that I have spent in Fresno. It has been a good three years and I’m totally grateful for the experiences that I have had.”
Fresno State also graduates four seniors and loses Alan Anderson to transfer, but they have a good recruiting class coming in, which is headlined by Oklahoma State transfer Cezar Guerrero, and return a front line that includes Robert Upshaw, a former top 100 recruit, and Braeden Anderson, a former Kansas signee.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)