Apr 17, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Kevin Olekaibe looked like he had a shot to be an all-Mountain West first-teamer after averaging 17.8 points as a sophomore in Fresno State’s final season in the WAC.
But thanks to an offseason arm injury, Olekaibe stuggled throughout his junior season. In his first year as a player in the MWC, Olekaibe finished averaging just 8.3 points, the lowest of his career.
And now, the junior has decided to transfer out of Rodney Terry’s program and will use his final season of eligibility elsewhere.
“First of all, I want to thank the fans,” Olekaibe said in a release. “Since I’ve been here everyone has given me support. This decision was a hard one, but I’ve got the support of my coaches and teammates as I do what I have to in order to expand my game – playing with the ball more, developing my skills as a point guard, distributing the ball and not just being one-dimensional. One of the main reasons that I had to make this tough decision is so that I can be closer to home and be with my family more. I’ve appreciated the time that I have spent in Fresno. It has been a good three years and I’m totally grateful for the experiences that I have had.”
Fresno State also graduates four seniors and loses Alan Anderson to transfer, but they have a good recruiting class coming in, which is headlined by Oklahoma State transfer Cezar Guerrero, and return a front line that includes Robert Upshaw, a former top 100 recruit, and Braeden Anderson, a former Kansas signee.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)