Apr 17, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Former Illinois State forward Jon Ekey announced late on Tuesday that he will be transferring to Illinois for his final season of basketball.
Ekey, who stands 6-foot-7 and averaged 6.5 points and 4.2 boards a season ago, is a fifth-year transfer. He will be eligible immediately for the Illini, who lose Tyler Griffey, Brandon Paul, DJ Richardson and Sam McLaurin to graduation.
Ekey will actually be the third graduate transfer that Illinois has used in the past three seasons. McLaurin joined the program from Coastal Carolina, while point guard Sam Maniscalco left Bradley to become a member of the Illini the year before.
Ekey won’t be the only Missouri Valley transfer on Illinois’ roster next season, either. Former Drake guard Rayvonte Rice say out this past season and will have two years of eligibility remaining. Former Seton Hall guard Aaron Cosby also committed to the Illini on Friday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)