Apr 17, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
(Update 3:05 p.m.: He’s gone.)
Last Friday, Remy Abell announced his intention to transfer out of the Indiana program.
The school even sent out a release, in which Abell was quoted as saying, “I am going to miss everyone. But I just feel at this time a fresh start and new opportunities are what is best in following God’s plan for me.”
The goal, apparently, was to land somewhere where he would be able to get more playing time. Abell averaged 3.5 points in 10.7 minutes off the bench last season. But that line of thinking was a bit questionable, especially considering that Abell looked to be in line for a big bump in minutes this season. With Victor Oladipo and Jordy Hulls gone, Abell would have had a shot at starting at the off-guard spot. Indiana’s going to have a very deep front court next season, but their Yogi Ferrell is the only point guard on their roster, and the only other natural off-guard on the roster is Austin Etherington, who is coming off of a serious knee injury.
Would he have to compete with Will Sheehey and freshman Stanford Robinson for minutes? Probably, but Sheehey’s more of a small forward and there’s no guarantee that Robinson will be ready to compete in the Big Ten immediately.
Apparently, some of this may have gotten back to Abell, as there may be some second thoughts about transferring. From the Indy Star:
Remy Abell’s mother met with Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean about her son returning to the Hoosiers after the school announced last week he would transfer, Abell’s high school coach said.
“I do know that Remy’s mother has met with coach Crean personally,” said Jason Couch, now head coach at Shelby County High School in Kentucky. “His support system wants him to stay at IU.”
Crean texted IndyStar.com this statement:
“Right now, there is no change in his status. We continue to support Remy with ongoing dialogue, assistance and he has full access to our facilities to work out. My main concern is for his academic well being.”
Abell’s support system, according to Couch, wants him to remain at Indiana. The Indy Star report also says that Abell may simply be reacting poorly to Cody Zeller’s decision to enter the draft. Those two are apparently quite close.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)