Apr 17, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Before the 2012-13 season began there were questions in regards to whether or not any of the three McDonald’s All-American big men joining the Arizona program would develop into a “one and done” player.
As the season rolled along the three freshmen, Brandon Ashley, Grant Jerrett and Kaleb Tarczewski, had their moments, alternating impressive displays of skill with uneven outings that tend to be commonplace among most newcomers.
All three seemed on track to return to Tucson for their sophomore seasons, joining forces with Aaron Gordon to form one of the best front courts in the country.
However that “plan” has changed, as Jerrett will enter the 2013 NBA Draft.
Jerrett, a 6-10 forward with range out beyond the three-point line, averaged 5.2 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in just over 17 minutes of action for the Wildcats.
Jerrett shot 40.9% from the field and 40.5% from beyond the arc this season, but given the production this decision is a bit of a stunner. DraftExpress.com currently ranks Jerrett 25th among college freshmen.
“Today, with the support of my family, I made the decision to enter the 2013 NBA Draft and pursue my lifelong dream of playing professional basketball,” said Jerrett in a statement released by the school. “I would like to thank all Wildcat fans, my teammates and coaches for making my year in Tucson an incredible experience. I will forever be an Arizona Wildcat.”
So where does this leave Arizona next season? The Wildcats will be fine depth-wise, with Gordon (who is expected to play the three) joining Ashley, Tarczewski and Angelo Chol.
There’s also versatile wing Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to factor into the discussion when looking at players who can grab the minutes available following the graduation of Solomon Hill and Kevin Parrom.
Despite the amount of interior talent at Sean Miller’s disposal, this team having Jerrett as another option would only help Arizona. That won’t happen however, making the development of Ashley and Tarczewski this summer even more important.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)