Apr 17, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Before the 2012-13 season began there were questions in regards to whether or not any of the three McDonald’s All-American big men joining the Arizona program would develop into a “one and done” player.
As the season rolled along the three freshmen, Brandon Ashley, Grant Jerrett and Kaleb Tarczewski, had their moments, alternating impressive displays of skill with uneven outings that tend to be commonplace among most newcomers.
All three seemed on track to return to Tucson for their sophomore seasons, joining forces with Aaron Gordon to form one of the best front courts in the country.
However that “plan” has changed, as Jerrett will enter the 2013 NBA Draft.
Jerrett, a 6-10 forward with range out beyond the three-point line, averaged 5.2 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in just over 17 minutes of action for the Wildcats.
Jerrett shot 40.9% from the field and 40.5% from beyond the arc this season, but given the production this decision is a bit of a stunner. DraftExpress.com currently ranks Jerrett 25th among college freshmen.
“Today, with the support of my family, I made the decision to enter the 2013 NBA Draft and pursue my lifelong dream of playing professional basketball,” said Jerrett in a statement released by the school. “I would like to thank all Wildcat fans, my teammates and coaches for making my year in Tucson an incredible experience. I will forever be an Arizona Wildcat.”
So where does this leave Arizona next season? The Wildcats will be fine depth-wise, with Gordon (who is expected to play the three) joining Ashley, Tarczewski and Angelo Chol.
There’s also versatile wing Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to factor into the discussion when looking at players who can grab the minutes available following the graduation of Solomon Hill and Kevin Parrom.
Despite the amount of interior talent at Sean Miller’s disposal, this team having Jerrett as another option would only help Arizona. That won’t happen however, making the development of Ashley and Tarczewski this summer even more important.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)