Apr 18, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
Eddie Jordan and Rutgers will be meeting this afternoon to finalize a contract that would bring the former Scarlet Knight guard and current Los Angeles Laker assistant back to his alma mater to try to rebuild the program, according to a report from Tom Luicci of NJ.com.
He will be meeting with the university president this afternoon.
Perhaps the better news is that Jordan will be allowed to keep David Cox and Van Macon on staff, according to a report. Those two have strong ties along the eastern seaboard and were not involved in the abuse scandal that cost Mike Rice and Jimmy Martelli their jobs.
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Keeping Cox and Macon might convince talents like Wally Judge, Myles Mack and Kadeen Jack from transferring like the rest of the Rutgers roster. Three players have already left the program. There are reports that both Eli Carter and Mike Poole will follow them out. Recruits Shane Rector Chris Griffin have both decided not to attend the New Jersey school next season.
That leaves, in addition to the three players listed above, Derrick Randall, Greg Lewis and incoming freshman Craig Brown as the only scholarship players that Jordan has left.
Rutgers joins the Big Ten in 2014. It’s going to be a long road to relevancy for Jordan.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)