Apr 18, 2013, 10:09 AM EST
Eddie Jordan and Rutgers will be meeting this afternoon to finalize a contract that would bring the former Scarlet Knight guard and current Los Angeles Laker assistant back to his alma mater to try to rebuild the program, according to a report from Tom Luicci of NJ.com.
He will be meeting with the university president this afternoon.
Perhaps the better news is that Jordan will be allowed to keep David Cox and Van Macon on staff, according to a report. Those two have strong ties along the eastern seaboard and were not involved in the abuse scandal that cost Mike Rice and Jimmy Martelli their jobs.
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Keeping Cox and Macon might convince talents like Wally Judge, Myles Mack and Kadeen Jack from transferring like the rest of the Rutgers roster. Three players have already left the program. There are reports that both Eli Carter and Mike Poole will follow them out. Recruits Shane Rector Chris Griffin have both decided not to attend the New Jersey school next season.
That leaves, in addition to the three players listed above, Derrick Randall, Greg Lewis and incoming freshman Craig Brown as the only scholarship players that Jordan has left.
Rutgers joins the Big Ten in 2014. It’s going to be a long road to relevancy for Jordan.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)