Apr 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Things got a little bit easier for Chris Collins in his first year as the Northwestern head coach on Friday. Senior guard/forward Drew Crawford announced he would remain at Northwestern for his final season.
“I can’t wait to be on the court with my Northwestern teammates again this upcoming season,” Crawford said in a school statement. “Coach Collins has brought great energy to the program and we all believe in his vision.
“I have loved my experience here at NU and I’m proud to call it home. I’m ready to do all I can to lead this group and make my last year at Northwestern a great one.
“We’re all thrilled that Drew has decided to remain here at Northwestern for his fifth year,” Wildcats’ head coach Chris Collins said. “It obviously will be a tremendous asset to have him continue to be a part of the program, not only because of his ability on the court but he’s also an outstanding leader. Drew has invested a great deal into the program over the last four years. I look forward to having the opportunity to coach him and having him be a key member of our team.”
Crawford averaged 16.1 points per game as a junior and was a consensus third-team All-Big Ten selection that year. In 2012-2013, the 6-foot-5 Crawford torn his labrum after 10 games, requiring season-ending surgery.
Crawford graduates from Northwestern with a degree in economics this spring. He could have transferred to another program and would have been able to play right away. Instead he will remain with the Wildcats for the 2013-2014 campaign.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)