Apr 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Things got a little bit easier for Chris Collins in his first year as the Northwestern head coach on Friday. Senior guard/forward Drew Crawford announced he would remain at Northwestern for his final season.
“I can’t wait to be on the court with my Northwestern teammates again this upcoming season,” Crawford said in a school statement. “Coach Collins has brought great energy to the program and we all believe in his vision.
“I have loved my experience here at NU and I’m proud to call it home. I’m ready to do all I can to lead this group and make my last year at Northwestern a great one.
“We’re all thrilled that Drew has decided to remain here at Northwestern for his fifth year,” Wildcats’ head coach Chris Collins said. “It obviously will be a tremendous asset to have him continue to be a part of the program, not only because of his ability on the court but he’s also an outstanding leader. Drew has invested a great deal into the program over the last four years. I look forward to having the opportunity to coach him and having him be a key member of our team.”
Crawford averaged 16.1 points per game as a junior and was a consensus third-team All-Big Ten selection that year. In 2012-2013, the 6-foot-5 Crawford torn his labrum after 10 games, requiring season-ending surgery.
Crawford graduates from Northwestern with a degree in economics this spring. He could have transferred to another program and would have been able to play right away. Instead he will remain with the Wildcats for the 2013-2014 campaign.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)