Apr 19, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
The top junior in the Class of 2014 is ready to make another move in his recruitment next week, Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young/Chicago, Ill.) will host four teams for in-home visits.
Duke, Michigan State, Baylor and Kansas will all visit the 6-foot-11 center’s home next week, according to Scott Powers of ESPNChicago.com. Ohio State had previously held an in-home visit with the highly-touted center. Okafor’s father, Chukwudi told Powers that these are five schools his son is interested in, but more teams are involved in his recruitment.
“These schools reached out and asked to come out to him,” Chukwudi told ESPNChicago. “I haven’t called any coaches to say, ‘Will you come to our home to visit?’ That’s not my job. We won’t hold any visits to schools where Jahlil isn’t going to have interest in them. I won’t waste their time.”
Illinois was also mentioned, though John Groce has yet to request an in-home visit, according to Okafor’s father. The Okafors look to trim the list of offers in near future, Powers reported.
Okafor is the top junior in the nation, according to Rivals.com.
Point guard Tyus Jones (Apple Valley/Apple Valley, Minn.) is third overall in the 2014 class and is the same person who has stated before he wants to team up with Okafor in college. The 6-foot-1 Jones narrowed his list to seven in early March – Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Ohio State — with several similar schools Okafor is interested in.
“That’s definitely still a possibility,” Okafor’s father said.
Okafor averaged 21 and nine in 2012-2013.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)