Apr 19, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
C.J. McCollum, Lehigh’s high-scoring senior guard, was expected to be one of the nation’s most talked about players this season. He was. Until a broken foot days after the start of the New Year ended his storied collegiate career.
McCollum broke his foot in the first half of a game against VCU on Jan. 5. It’s now April, just over two months before the NBA Draft and McColllum wants to assure the basketball world, general managers especially, that he back to form.
“Teams, from what I’ve heard, are pretty positive about me,” McCollum told Nicole Auerbach of USA Today. “The biggest thing is they just want to see me healthy. I’m healthy. My X-rays are very, very beautiful. I think that’s just the biggest thing; they want to make sure my foot is OK.”
The 6-foot-3 senior guard was averaging 23.9 points and five rebounds per game in his 12-game season. Currently, DraftExpress.com has McCollum is predicted to go 15th overall. Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke and Michael Carter-Williams are listed as guards a head of McCollum.
Auerbach reports that McCollum was able to begin on court exercises after getting his boot on his left foot removed in the middle of March. It wasn’t until last week when McCollum began full-speed drills. Following a drive to the hoop against VCU on Jan. 5, McCollum fractured his fifth metatarsal.
“My draft stock is still pretty good right now,” McCollum told USA Today. “It’ll be better when I get back on the court and show teams that the injury hasn’t fazed me, and I’ve actually gotten stronger and improved aspects of my game.
“I think all the other guys who have had this injury have exceeded expectations after the injury, and I think I’ll be in a similar position to do so as well.”
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)