Apr 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
LIU Post: the cradle of MAAC coaches?
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com Niagara is expected to hire LIU Post head coach Chris Casey to fill the opening left by Joe Mihalich, who left the MAAC school to take over at Hofstra.
In three seasons at LIU Post Casey pasted a record of 62-25, and he would be the second consecutive head coach to leave the school for a MAAC head coaching position. The first was Tim Cluess, who has led Iona to two NCAA tournament appearances in his three seasons at the school.
Before taking over for Cluess at LIU Post, Casey spent six seasons as an assistant on Norm Roberts’ staff at St. John’s. LIU Post won at least 20 games in each of Casey’s first two seasons at the helm, qualifying for the NCAA Division II tournament in both campaigns.
Niagara finished the 2012-13 season with a 19-14 record (13-5 MAAC) and won the MAAC regular season title with guards Juan’ya Green and Antoine Mason leading the way. Green and Mason combined to average more than 35 points per game, and as a team Niagara posted an average of 73.8 points per game.
The Purple Eagles lose just two seniors from the roster, forward Scooter Gillette and center Devon White, and if no players decide to transfer this is a group Casey can hit the ground running with.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)