Apr 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
LIU Post: the cradle of MAAC coaches?
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com Niagara is expected to hire LIU Post head coach Chris Casey to fill the opening left by Joe Mihalich, who left the MAAC school to take over at Hofstra.
In three seasons at LIU Post Casey pasted a record of 62-25, and he would be the second consecutive head coach to leave the school for a MAAC head coaching position. The first was Tim Cluess, who has led Iona to two NCAA tournament appearances in his three seasons at the school.
Before taking over for Cluess at LIU Post, Casey spent six seasons as an assistant on Norm Roberts’ staff at St. John’s. LIU Post won at least 20 games in each of Casey’s first two seasons at the helm, qualifying for the NCAA Division II tournament in both campaigns.
Niagara finished the 2012-13 season with a 19-14 record (13-5 MAAC) and won the MAAC regular season title with guards Juan’ya Green and Antoine Mason leading the way. Green and Mason combined to average more than 35 points per game, and as a team Niagara posted an average of 73.8 points per game.
The Purple Eagles lose just two seniors from the roster, forward Scooter Gillette and center Devon White, and if no players decide to transfer this is a group Casey can hit the ground running with.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (71)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)