Apr 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
LIU Post: the cradle of MAAC coaches?
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com Niagara is expected to hire LIU Post head coach Chris Casey to fill the opening left by Joe Mihalich, who left the MAAC school to take over at Hofstra.
In three seasons at LIU Post Casey pasted a record of 62-25, and he would be the second consecutive head coach to leave the school for a MAAC head coaching position. The first was Tim Cluess, who has led Iona to two NCAA tournament appearances in his three seasons at the school.
Before taking over for Cluess at LIU Post, Casey spent six seasons as an assistant on Norm Roberts’ staff at St. John’s. LIU Post won at least 20 games in each of Casey’s first two seasons at the helm, qualifying for the NCAA Division II tournament in both campaigns.
Niagara finished the 2012-13 season with a 19-14 record (13-5 MAAC) and won the MAAC regular season title with guards Juan’ya Green and Antoine Mason leading the way. Green and Mason combined to average more than 35 points per game, and as a team Niagara posted an average of 73.8 points per game.
The Purple Eagles lose just two seniors from the roster, forward Scooter Gillette and center Devon White, and if no players decide to transfer this is a group Casey can hit the ground running with.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)