Apr 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
LIU Post: the cradle of MAAC coaches?
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com Niagara is expected to hire LIU Post head coach Chris Casey to fill the opening left by Joe Mihalich, who left the MAAC school to take over at Hofstra.
In three seasons at LIU Post Casey pasted a record of 62-25, and he would be the second consecutive head coach to leave the school for a MAAC head coaching position. The first was Tim Cluess, who has led Iona to two NCAA tournament appearances in his three seasons at the school.
Before taking over for Cluess at LIU Post, Casey spent six seasons as an assistant on Norm Roberts’ staff at St. John’s. LIU Post won at least 20 games in each of Casey’s first two seasons at the helm, qualifying for the NCAA Division II tournament in both campaigns.
Niagara finished the 2012-13 season with a 19-14 record (13-5 MAAC) and won the MAAC regular season title with guards Juan’ya Green and Antoine Mason leading the way. Green and Mason combined to average more than 35 points per game, and as a team Niagara posted an average of 73.8 points per game.
The Purple Eagles lose just two seniors from the roster, forward Scooter Gillette and center Devon White, and if no players decide to transfer this is a group Casey can hit the ground running with.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)