Apr 19, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Despite having WAC Player of the Year Kyle Barone the Idaho Vandals managed to win just 12 games in 2012-13, losing to eventual WAC tournament champion New Mexico State in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.
So it’s safe to assume that the program was in need of an infusion of talent, especially considering the fact that Barone (17.1 ppg, 9.7 rpg) is out of eligibility. Idaho will add an experienced newcomer in 2013-14, as it was reported that former Utah guard Glen Dean will join the program.
Dean, who began his collegiate career at Eastern Washington, played just one season for the Utes and averaged 5.5 points and 2.1 assists per game in 2012-13. As a graduate student Dean will be eligible to play immediately.
Dean managed to reach double figures just once during Pac-12 play, scoring ten points in a five-point loss to California on January 24. Freshman Brandon Taylor emerged as conference play rolled on, and with him returning Utah will be fine at the point.
In addition to Barone, Idaho also has to replace leading assist man Mike McChristian (8.4 ppg, 2.8 apg) and the addition of Dean will help in this regard. Dean’s younger brother, 6-2 guard Perrion Callandret, committed to Idaho last fall. Idaho announced the signing of four players during the spring signing period on Wednesday.
The WAC next season will look far different, and even with the loss of Barone the Vandals should be a contender in a conference that features just two holdovers: Idaho and New Mexico State.
Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, Grand Canyon, UMKC, Texas-Pan American and Utah Valley will join those two schools in the WAC on July 1.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)