Apr 20, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
Karl Towns (St. Joseph High/Metuchen, N.J.) committed to Kentucky on Dec. 4. He won’t be apart of the star-studded Class of 2013, though he will headline the 2014 group. There is still one player Kentucky is eyeing and by now almost everyone is aware its the top player in the country Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep/Thornhill, Ont.).
The two highly-touted recruits are teaming up at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Ore. this week. The two good friend are even rooming with one another, but don’t expect Towns to assist the Wildcats in persuading Wiggins to Big Blue Nation, according to Larry Vaught of the Adovcate Messenger.
“I haven’t talked to him about Kentucky at all,” Towns told Vaught. “He has so much talent, but we are good friends. I just wish him the best for any school he picks. I want to let him enjoy the time here and just be friends and talk basketball and play video games. Stuff like that.”
If you’ve followed Wiggins and his recruitment at all it’s clear the decision is weighing on him, and that seems to be taking a major move forward next week. The 6-foot-7 small forward is down to only four schools — North Carolina, Kansas, Florida State and Kentucky.
He’s already met with John Calipari before the McDonald’s All-American Game, and next week he meets with Roy Williams on Monday, Bill Self on Tuesday and Leonard Hamilton on Wednesday.
Huntington Prep head coach downplayed the significance visits in an interview with Adam Zagoria earlier this week. He went on to tell Zagoria not to expect a press conference or anything extravagant from the nation’s top recruit when it is time to make a choice.
“I don’t see a press conference,” Fulford told ZagsBlog.com at the Jordan Brand Classic. “He doesn’t need the attention….Knowing him he’ll just have somebody else tweet it for him.”
Towns, who played for Calipari on the Dominican Republic national team this summer, will play alongside the Canadian born Wiggins as part of the World Team in Saturday night’s showcase. The USA roster includes Kentucky commits Julius Randle and the Harrison twins.
The Nike Hoop Summit tips 7 p.m.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)