Apr 20, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Good news is rare for the poor Northwestern Wildcats. Every year partisans get excited, hoping for the school’s first-ever NCAA tourney berth, and every year, the rising tide of the Big Ten swamps the purple and white.
Hard to say what’s in store for Northwestern next year, but we do know one thing: they’ll have Drew Crawford back to bring some excitement to Chris Collins’ first season as the team’s head coach. The senior wing player got off to a good start this past season – averaging 13.5 points per game – before he suffered a torn labrum and had to end his season early.
The hardworking upperclassman made good use of his time off the court and earned his degree, so he could have used the graduate transfer rule to play one last season elsewhere. Apparently, the advent of the Chris Collins era in Evanston is something Crawford wants to witness.
The Wildcats will need Crawford’s steady leadership if they hope to contend in a league that’s just getting tougher. Crawford’s decision to stick around seems like a pretty good sign that Collins can attract and keep some talent at Northwestern as well.
Hope springs eternal.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)