Apr 20, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Good news is rare for the poor Northwestern Wildcats. Every year partisans get excited, hoping for the school’s first-ever NCAA tourney berth, and every year, the rising tide of the Big Ten swamps the purple and white.
Hard to say what’s in store for Northwestern next year, but we do know one thing: they’ll have Drew Crawford back to bring some excitement to Chris Collins’ first season as the team’s head coach. The senior wing player got off to a good start this past season – averaging 13.5 points per game – before he suffered a torn labrum and had to end his season early.
The hardworking upperclassman made good use of his time off the court and earned his degree, so he could have used the graduate transfer rule to play one last season elsewhere. Apparently, the advent of the Chris Collins era in Evanston is something Crawford wants to witness.
The Wildcats will need Crawford’s steady leadership if they hope to contend in a league that’s just getting tougher. Crawford’s decision to stick around seems like a pretty good sign that Collins can attract and keep some talent at Northwestern as well.
Hope springs eternal.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)