Apr 20, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
After a report surfaced that Will Yeguete may need knee surgery this offseason, now another frontcourt stalwart, a more important one, recently underwent a surgery of his own.
Florida’s Patric Young, who earlier this month announced he was returning to the program from his senior season, had a procedure on his right ankle recently, reportedly to remove a bone spur.
His recovery will take six weeks.
The 6-9, 249-pound Young had an up-and-down junior season, finishing with averages of 10.1 points 6.3 rebounds, shot 58.6-percent from the field and an awful 48.9-percent from the free throw line in 26.5 minutes per game. While he was a consistent force in the post, Young averaged 8.2 points and seven rebounds in the Gators’ four NCAA Tournament games. He also made only six shots in Florida’s final three tournament games after going 6-for-10 in their first round win over Northwestern State.
A lot of circles believed coming back from a good choice for both himself and Florida. He’s got a year to develop offensively, which seems to be his only area where he’s not NBA-ready.
With Erik Murphy exhausting his eligibility, Young will be the leader down low, along with Yeguete and a recruiting class for coach Billy Donovan that includes 6-10 Chris Walker.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)