Apr 20, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
After a report surfaced that Will Yeguete may need knee surgery this offseason, now another frontcourt stalwart, a more important one, recently underwent a surgery of his own.
Florida’s Patric Young, who earlier this month announced he was returning to the program from his senior season, had a procedure on his right ankle recently, reportedly to remove a bone spur.
His recovery will take six weeks.
The 6-9, 249-pound Young had an up-and-down junior season, finishing with averages of 10.1 points 6.3 rebounds, shot 58.6-percent from the field and an awful 48.9-percent from the free throw line in 26.5 minutes per game. While he was a consistent force in the post, Young averaged 8.2 points and seven rebounds in the Gators’ four NCAA Tournament games. He also made only six shots in Florida’s final three tournament games after going 6-for-10 in their first round win over Northwestern State.
A lot of circles believed coming back from a good choice for both himself and Florida. He’s got a year to develop offensively, which seems to be his only area where he’s not NBA-ready.
With Erik Murphy exhausting his eligibility, Young will be the leader down low, along with Yeguete and a recruiting class for coach Billy Donovan that includes 6-10 Chris Walker.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)