Apr 20, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
These days, plenty of things in college athletics get the expensive treatment. Arenas, jerseys, weight rooms, athletic offices.
Kansas is adding another entity getting the star treatment: rules.
James Naismith’s original rules of basketball are getting a facility of their own. And it’s going to cost $18 million. This according to The Kansas City Star’s Blair Kerkoff.
The 31,000 square-foot facility, which will be known as the DeBruce Center, will be three stories and will be connected to the northeast corner of Allen Fieldhouse. The facility will also house meeting and dining facilities for students. Construction will begin later this year.
The rules were purchased by Kansas alum David Booth and his wife, Suzanne, at auction in December 2010, for $4.3 million.
The facility will be named for Paul DeBruce, CEO and founder of DeBruce Grain, Inc. He served as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Kansas City Federal Reserve in 2011 and 2012.
“Katherine and I are excited and lucky to be part of this new facility at KU,” DeBruce said in a statement issued by the university. “Our years on the Hill helped provide a foundation for each of us to be successful and give back to our community.”
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 12
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 6
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 (17)