Apr 20, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
These days, plenty of things in college athletics get the expensive treatment. Arenas, jerseys, weight rooms, athletic offices.
Kansas is adding another entity getting the star treatment: rules.
James Naismith’s original rules of basketball are getting a facility of their own. And it’s going to cost $18 million. This according to The Kansas City Star’s Blair Kerkoff.
The 31,000 square-foot facility, which will be known as the DeBruce Center, will be three stories and will be connected to the northeast corner of Allen Fieldhouse. The facility will also house meeting and dining facilities for students. Construction will begin later this year.
The rules were purchased by Kansas alum David Booth and his wife, Suzanne, at auction in December 2010, for $4.3 million.
The facility will be named for Paul DeBruce, CEO and founder of DeBruce Grain, Inc. He served as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Kansas City Federal Reserve in 2011 and 2012.
“Katherine and I are excited and lucky to be part of this new facility at KU,” DeBruce said in a statement issued by the university. “Our years on the Hill helped provide a foundation for each of us to be successful and give back to our community.”
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)