Apr 20, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
These days, plenty of things in college athletics get the expensive treatment. Arenas, jerseys, weight rooms, athletic offices.
Kansas is adding another entity getting the star treatment: rules.
James Naismith’s original rules of basketball are getting a facility of their own. And it’s going to cost $18 million. This according to The Kansas City Star’s Blair Kerkoff.
The 31,000 square-foot facility, which will be known as the DeBruce Center, will be three stories and will be connected to the northeast corner of Allen Fieldhouse. The facility will also house meeting and dining facilities for students. Construction will begin later this year.
The rules were purchased by Kansas alum David Booth and his wife, Suzanne, at auction in December 2010, for $4.3 million.
The facility will be named for Paul DeBruce, CEO and founder of DeBruce Grain, Inc. He served as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Kansas City Federal Reserve in 2011 and 2012.
“Katherine and I are excited and lucky to be part of this new facility at KU,” DeBruce said in a statement issued by the university. “Our years on the Hill helped provide a foundation for each of us to be successful and give back to our community.”
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)