Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Jack Perri got some good news recently when the NCAA granted former Northeast Conference Player of the Year forward Julian Boyd a sixth year of eligibility.
Now Perri is getting a boost to his backcourt in shooting guard Joel Hernandez, according to Rivals.com’s Alex Kline.
Hernandez, a product of of Teaneck High School, runs with the NJ Playaz AAU squad.
2013 Teaneck (NJ) SG Joel Hernandez has committed to LIU, a source says.
— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) April 20, 2013
The 6-3, 183-pound two-guard also held offers from Hofstra, Manhattan, Monmouth, Robert Morris and St. Joseph’s. Though it’s interesting to point out neither ESPN nor Rivals.com lists an offer from LIU-Brooklyn for Hernandez. He can bolster a backcourt that will already have the pass-first services of senior Jason Brickman (9.5 points, 8.5 assists per game).
Though Brickman is one of few options that the Blackbirds will have next season as far as guards go. C.J. Garner (16.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 50.3-percent from the field) and Brandon Thompson (8.1 points, 3.1 rebounds) both exhaust their eligibility. They do however get back sophomore E.J. Reed and his 7.1 points per game and 50.6-percent shooting percentage.
Hernandez is the first recruit of the 2013 class for LIU-Brooklyn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)