Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
Jack Perri got some good news recently when the NCAA granted former Northeast Conference Player of the Year forward Julian Boyd a sixth year of eligibility.
Now Perri is getting a boost to his backcourt in shooting guard Joel Hernandez, according to Rivals.com’s Alex Kline.
Hernandez, a product of of Teaneck High School, runs with the NJ Playaz AAU squad.
2013 Teaneck (NJ) SG Joel Hernandez has committed to LIU, a source says.
— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) April 20, 2013
The 6-3, 183-pound two-guard also held offers from Hofstra, Manhattan, Monmouth, Robert Morris and St. Joseph’s. Though it’s interesting to point out neither ESPN nor Rivals.com lists an offer from LIU-Brooklyn for Hernandez. He can bolster a backcourt that will already have the pass-first services of senior Jason Brickman (9.5 points, 8.5 assists per game).
Though Brickman is one of few options that the Blackbirds will have next season as far as guards go. C.J. Garner (16.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 50.3-percent from the field) and Brandon Thompson (8.1 points, 3.1 rebounds) both exhaust their eligibility. They do however get back sophomore E.J. Reed and his 7.1 points per game and 50.6-percent shooting percentage.
Hernandez is the first recruit of the 2013 class for LIU-Brooklyn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)