Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Jack Perri got some good news recently when the NCAA granted former Northeast Conference Player of the Year forward Julian Boyd a sixth year of eligibility.
Now Perri is getting a boost to his backcourt in shooting guard Joel Hernandez, according to Rivals.com’s Alex Kline.
Hernandez, a product of of Teaneck High School, runs with the NJ Playaz AAU squad.
2013 Teaneck (NJ) SG Joel Hernandez has committed to LIU, a source says.
— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) April 20, 2013
The 6-3, 183-pound two-guard also held offers from Hofstra, Manhattan, Monmouth, Robert Morris and St. Joseph’s. Though it’s interesting to point out neither ESPN nor Rivals.com lists an offer from LIU-Brooklyn for Hernandez. He can bolster a backcourt that will already have the pass-first services of senior Jason Brickman (9.5 points, 8.5 assists per game).
Though Brickman is one of few options that the Blackbirds will have next season as far as guards go. C.J. Garner (16.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 50.3-percent from the field) and Brandon Thompson (8.1 points, 3.1 rebounds) both exhaust their eligibility. They do however get back sophomore E.J. Reed and his 7.1 points per game and 50.6-percent shooting percentage.
Hernandez is the first recruit of the 2013 class for LIU-Brooklyn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)