Apr 20, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound like Miami point guard Shane Larkin is all too concerned with the NBA Draft right now.
At least, that’s what he told Michael Casagrande of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Larkin was one of a few Miami men’s basketball players who were throwing out a ceremonial first pitch at the Hurricanes’ baseball game against Clemson.
Larkin also said that he is amazed by how his comments get taken so seriously, no matter how minor, from social media.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
“No,” he said after taking grief from baseball coach Jim Morris. “I’m just going to class right now. I have finals coming up, so that’s what I’m really focused on.”
The sophomore averaged 14.5 points, 4.6 assists and 3.8 rebounds for Miami, who had arguably their best season in school history, finishing 29-7 and making an appearance in the Sweet 16 as a two seed before falling to Marquette.
Should he go, Larkin has been projected anywhere from a mid-second rounder to a mid-first rounder in various NBA mock drafts. He’ll be called upon for more leadership, should he stay. The ‘Canes lose four starters and a key reserve in Julian Gamble, Reggie Johnson, Durand Scott, Kenny Kadji and Trey McKinney-Jones — five of their top six scorers, sans Larkin — to graduation.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)