Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
More room was just made for Jarnell Stokes in the post, as Yemi Makanjuola has been released from his scholarship and will transfer from the program.
In his two seasons with the Volunteers, Makanjuola was limited in his usage and production. He averaged 1.6 points and 2.4 rebounds in 7.8 minutes per game this season for the a 20-13 Tennessee team that lost 75-67 at home to Mercer in the first round of the NIT.
His scoring and minutes are a bit down from his freshman year, when the 6-9, 250-pound native of Lagos, Nigeria averaged 2.3 points and 2.8 rebounds in 8.3 minutes per game. He didn’t play in Tennessee’s final four games of the regular season and SEC Tournament, finishing his time with the program with two blocks, a rebound and a foul in three minutes in the loss to Mercer.
The news was first reported by GoVols247’s Wes Rucker.
Vols sophomore center Yemi Makanjuola has been granted a release to transfer. Not a shocking development. More in a bit.
— Wes Rucker (@wesrucker247) April 20, 2013
However, Makanjuola did have his best game of the season in one of the Volunteers’ tougher games, with nine points and eight rebounds in 20 minutes in a 67-60 victory over then-no. 23 Wichita State at home. He would have just one game of more than three points the rest of the game with a seven-point, seven-rebound effort in a 92-74 home loss to Ole Miss.
Makanjuola was also down in his field goal percentage this season (16-of-42, 38.1 percent) despite taking just two less shots (26-of-44, 59.1 percent).
Tennessee won’t have much of a problem replacing Makanjuola, with 6-10 junior college transfer Rawane N’diaye recently signing with coach Cuonzo Martin’s program and Jeronne Maymon returning for a fifth year after missing all of last season with a knee injury. Stokes also has yet to make a decision on his future on whether to stay in college or enter the NBA Draft.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)