Apr 20, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
The Twitterverse is littered with appelations like @RealSkipBayless and @NotTheFakeSVP, and for good reason. Smart-alecks the world round enjoy pretending to be famous people, and according to internet law, if you nab the name first, it’s yours, even if it’s, you know, not really your name.
Beyond that, even some of the so-called “@Real” and “@NotFake” accounts are ersatz. The only way to know which tweets really come from your favorite writers and athletes is to look for the checkmark that notes a verified account. (Side note: should I be offended that nobody out there is pretending to be me?)
With that in mind, if you see anyone claiming to be Syracuse sophomore Michael Gbinije on Twitter, know right now that it’s not him. As the Syracuse Post-Standard is reporting, Gbinije doesn’t even have a Twitter account, so @TheRealGbinije is, well, full of it.
Gbinije, the Duke transfer who sat out this season at SU because of NCAA stipulations, has learned to laugh at these kinds of misrepresentations. He quit Twitter while still at Duke, he said, around the same time the first fake Gbinije account surfaced. TheRealGbinije is fake Gbinije account No. 2.
All this by way of saying that as you search for anything college hoops-related at all during this long off-season, beware your sources. In fact, it’s probably best just to check in with CBT throughout each day if you want the straight scoop on anything.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)