Apr 20, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
The Twitterverse is littered with appelations like @RealSkipBayless and @NotTheFakeSVP, and for good reason. Smart-alecks the world round enjoy pretending to be famous people, and according to internet law, if you nab the name first, it’s yours, even if it’s, you know, not really your name.
Beyond that, even some of the so-called “@Real” and “@NotFake” accounts are ersatz. The only way to know which tweets really come from your favorite writers and athletes is to look for the checkmark that notes a verified account. (Side note: should I be offended that nobody out there is pretending to be me?)
With that in mind, if you see anyone claiming to be Syracuse sophomore Michael Gbinije on Twitter, know right now that it’s not him. As the Syracuse Post-Standard is reporting, Gbinije doesn’t even have a Twitter account, so @TheRealGbinije is, well, full of it.
Gbinije, the Duke transfer who sat out this season at SU because of NCAA stipulations, has learned to laugh at these kinds of misrepresentations. He quit Twitter while still at Duke, he said, around the same time the first fake Gbinije account surfaced. TheRealGbinije is fake Gbinije account No. 2.
All this by way of saying that as you search for anything college hoops-related at all during this long off-season, beware your sources. In fact, it’s probably best just to check in with CBT throughout each day if you want the straight scoop on anything.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)