Apr 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Donte Grantham’s senior year has gone about as well as any high school kid could ask.
Playing for his hometown high school in Martinsburg, WV, Grantham not only was named the state’s Player of the Year, but he won a state title as well. The only thing left is to figure out whether or not he will play for his state university next season.
“I’m not sure right now,” Grantham said at the Pitt Hoop Group Jam Fest. “I’m going to take the live period to make my decision.”
Grantham, a versatile, 6-foot-8 forward with three point range, is currently weighing a number of offers, including West Virginia. Head coach Bob Huggins was in Pittsburgh on Saturday watching his state’s most coveted recruit play very well for the DC Assault. Marshall, Cincinnati, Clemson, Wake Forest, Maryland, Xavier, Villanova and Georgetown are also on the chase for Grantham, who is one of the best recruits left in the class.
Only Grantham isn’t sure whether he’s going to head to college this fall, or instead enroll in prep school for a year.
“Honestly, I don’t know,” Grantham said. “Me and my mom still need to talk about it. If I stay in 2014, it will be better for me. I can get stronger and smarter as a player.”
But if he goes to college this fall, there will likely be playing time for him available immediately. West Virginia is coming off of a year where they finished with a losing record, and earlier this month the Mountaineers had three players announce that they would be transferring out of the program.
“I think every kid grows up wanting to play for their state school,” Grantham said earlier this month. West Virginia fans are hoping that will be enough to earn a commitment sooner rather than later.
Grantham wasn’t the only member of the Class of 2013 looking to earn a scholarship offer at the Pitt Hoop Group Jam Fest this weekend:
- Mike Tucker, an athletic, 6-foot-6 forward from Covington, GA, played well for the Atlanta Xpress this weekend. He decommitted from Bradley last week after his father had a heart attack, saying he wanted to go to school closer to home. Tennessee has shown some interest since he reopened his recruitment, but Tucker said that Georgia is his dream school.
- Galvin Robinson, a Memphis native and Mitchell HS (TN) product, had an up and down weekend, but he played excellent in Team Thad’s win over DC Assault’s Farrington team. The bouncy, 6-foot-6 Robinson finished with 19 points and a number of rebounders, blocking three shots at the rim while also showing off three-point range. Georgia State and Texas State are the only Division I schools currently showing interest.
- Isaac Fleming is a tough, left-handed point guard Virginia that played well this weekend for Team Loaded. He currently holds offers from St. Francis (PA) and Radford, but the Class of 2013 product is attracting some interest from bigger programs, saying that Xavier, Cincinnati and DePaul have seen him workout.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Kentucky’s on top, but who’s next in line?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Hallice Cooke will have one hip operated on Monday, with the second surgery coming four weeks later.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The OVC looks like a three-team race this season.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Nice work editing in the music.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Who are the top 20 perimeters in the country this season?
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
This scandal will be a stain on North Carolina’s sports and academic programs for a long time.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This is about as embarrassing as being POSTERIZED can get.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The Shockers went to the Final Four in 2013 and undefeated in 2014. What is next for them?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Cody Larson was South Dakotas Next Big Thing. He returned in infamy, but that has not stopped him from succeeding.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Wisconsin held its third annual “Shooting Down Cancer” event Wednesday, with their goal being to #MakeBoPay.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)