Apr 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Donte Grantham’s senior year has gone about as well as any high school kid could ask.
Playing for his hometown high school in Martinsburg, WV, Grantham not only was named the state’s Player of the Year, but he won a state title as well. The only thing left is to figure out whether or not he will play for his state university next season.
“I’m not sure right now,” Grantham said at the Pitt Hoop Group Jam Fest. “I’m going to take the live period to make my decision.”
Grantham, a versatile, 6-foot-8 forward with three point range, is currently weighing a number of offers, including West Virginia. Head coach Bob Huggins was in Pittsburgh on Saturday watching his state’s most coveted recruit play very well for the DC Assault. Marshall, Cincinnati, Clemson, Wake Forest, Maryland, Xavier, Villanova and Georgetown are also on the chase for Grantham, who is one of the best recruits left in the class.
Only Grantham isn’t sure whether he’s going to head to college this fall, or instead enroll in prep school for a year.
“Honestly, I don’t know,” Grantham said. “Me and my mom still need to talk about it. If I stay in 2014, it will be better for me. I can get stronger and smarter as a player.”
But if he goes to college this fall, there will likely be playing time for him available immediately. West Virginia is coming off of a year where they finished with a losing record, and earlier this month the Mountaineers had three players announce that they would be transferring out of the program.
“I think every kid grows up wanting to play for their state school,” Grantham said earlier this month. West Virginia fans are hoping that will be enough to earn a commitment sooner rather than later.
Grantham wasn’t the only member of the Class of 2013 looking to earn a scholarship offer at the Pitt Hoop Group Jam Fest this weekend:
- Mike Tucker, an athletic, 6-foot-6 forward from Covington, GA, played well for the Atlanta Xpress this weekend. He decommitted from Bradley last week after his father had a heart attack, saying he wanted to go to school closer to home. Tennessee has shown some interest since he reopened his recruitment, but Tucker said that Georgia is his dream school.
- Galvin Robinson, a Memphis native and Mitchell HS (TN) product, had an up and down weekend, but he played excellent in Team Thad’s win over DC Assault’s Farrington team. The bouncy, 6-foot-6 Robinson finished with 19 points and a number of rebounders, blocking three shots at the rim while also showing off three-point range. Georgia State and Texas State are the only Division I schools currently showing interest.
- Isaac Fleming is a tough, left-handed point guard Virginia that played well this weekend for Team Loaded. He currently holds offers from St. Francis (PA) and Radford, but the Class of 2013 product is attracting some interest from bigger programs, saying that Xavier, Cincinnati and DePaul have seen him workout.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The St. Anthony product is a valuable recruit for each of the remaining schools, as they all have the eventual loss of current seniors to account for.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Having landed commitments from three forwards, the Flyers added a piece for their backcourt on Monday.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Simeon HS forward officially visited Nebraska this weekend, and both of his parents attended the school as well.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Fans have three different designs from which to choose, with the winning option scheduled to be revealed next Monday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers, who won 25 games last season, landed their first commitment in the Class of 2015 Sunday night.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
With both Pierria Henry and Terrence Williams being seniors, Charlotte needed to add a perimeter player in 2015.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
URI head coach Dan Hurley landed his second 2015 commitment Sunday evening.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Danny Manning finally has his first 2015 commitment and the player’s a very important one with regard to the future of the program.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The Vikings have added some depth to their front court for the 2015-16 season.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
The Shockers won’t lack for capable leaders this season, and their newcomers have followed the lead of those veterans in the weight room.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
A good read on Colorado State’s new senior transfer, Antwan Scott, overcoming family obstacles while still succeeding on the court.
Sep 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Washington State picked up a commitment from a 2015 forward on Sunday.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
A former UC Irvine forward could make his NFL debut on Sunday with the Arizona Cardinals.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Wisconsin picked up a 2015 commitment on Sunday morning.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
LSU is on the board in the 2017 class.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Five-star 2016 guard Kobi Simmons is electric.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Three Mountain West programs and one Big Ten program among the schools on the Las Vegas native’s list.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
The elite PG from New Jersey had his first in-person meeting with Kentucky head coach John Calipari on Thursday.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
The South Charleston HS floor general was one of the state’s best players last season, and he could prep for a year before joining the WVU program.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)