Apr 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Donte Grantham’s senior year has gone about as well as any high school kid could ask.
Playing for his hometown high school in Martinsburg, WV, Grantham not only was named the state’s Player of the Year, but he won a state title as well. The only thing left is to figure out whether or not he will play for his state university next season.
“I’m not sure right now,” Grantham said at the Pitt Hoop Group Jam Fest. “I’m going to take the live period to make my decision.”
Grantham, a versatile, 6-foot-8 forward with three point range, is currently weighing a number of offers, including West Virginia. Head coach Bob Huggins was in Pittsburgh on Saturday watching his state’s most coveted recruit play very well for the DC Assault. Marshall, Cincinnati, Clemson, Wake Forest, Maryland, Xavier, Villanova and Georgetown are also on the chase for Grantham, who is one of the best recruits left in the class.
Only Grantham isn’t sure whether he’s going to head to college this fall, or instead enroll in prep school for a year.
“Honestly, I don’t know,” Grantham said. “Me and my mom still need to talk about it. If I stay in 2014, it will be better for me. I can get stronger and smarter as a player.”
But if he goes to college this fall, there will likely be playing time for him available immediately. West Virginia is coming off of a year where they finished with a losing record, and earlier this month the Mountaineers had three players announce that they would be transferring out of the program.
“I think every kid grows up wanting to play for their state school,” Grantham said earlier this month. West Virginia fans are hoping that will be enough to earn a commitment sooner rather than later.
Grantham wasn’t the only member of the Class of 2013 looking to earn a scholarship offer at the Pitt Hoop Group Jam Fest this weekend:
- Mike Tucker, an athletic, 6-foot-6 forward from Covington, GA, played well for the Atlanta Xpress this weekend. He decommitted from Bradley last week after his father had a heart attack, saying he wanted to go to school closer to home. Tennessee has shown some interest since he reopened his recruitment, but Tucker said that Georgia is his dream school.
- Galvin Robinson, a Memphis native and Mitchell HS (TN) product, had an up and down weekend, but he played excellent in Team Thad’s win over DC Assault’s Farrington team. The bouncy, 6-foot-6 Robinson finished with 19 points and a number of rebounders, blocking three shots at the rim while also showing off three-point range. Georgia State and Texas State are the only Division I schools currently showing interest.
- Isaac Fleming is a tough, left-handed point guard Virginia that played well this weekend for Team Loaded. He currently holds offers from St. Francis (PA) and Radford, but the Class of 2013 product is attracting some interest from bigger programs, saying that Xavier, Cincinnati and DePaul have seen him workout.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Is this the best high school mixtape since Seventh Woods?
Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will play his sophomore season at Chipola.
Malik Newman, Ivan Rabb, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk among 33 members battling for USA U17 roster spots this week
Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The USA U17 tryouts have a lot of big names and it will also be important for the last week of the July live evaluation period.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Isaiah Briscoe helped lead the New Jersey Playaz to a title at Peach Jam.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Bruce Brown was a promising two-sport athlete, but gave up football to focus on basketball.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Walker is the second commitment for the Cardinal this spring.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Seven additional thoughts on Nike’s Peach Jam, including Ben Simmons’ one weakness, Malik Monk and how college coaches look at parents
Jul 21, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
The whole situation regarding Jacksons recruitment is weird.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Tatum is the best player in the class.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Seven thoughts from my time in Augusta
Jul 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
The Hoosiers will be in shape come September, that’s for sure.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
The latest in our series of anonymous quotes from coaches on the players they recruit.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Simmons is a much better passer than you’ll see in this video.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
After playing sparingly last season, Lucas is hoping to take a significant step forward in 2014-15.
Jul 20, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Fans may look to compare Gary Payton II to his father, something both hope to avoid this season, but his role as point guard is an important one.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Djambo’s playing time was unlikely to increase had he remained at Clemson, where he played 9.2 minutes per game last season.
Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
McQuaid’s de-commitment leaves SMU with one verbal pledge in its 2015 recruiting class.
Jul 20, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Apparently there were some questions at the Peach Jam regarding the possibility of Simmons returning to Australia in 2015 to play professionally instead of attending LSU.
Jul 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Brown won Pac-12 Most Improved Player honors last season, helping lead the Cardinal to the Sweet 16.
Jul 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-4 Walker played just one season at Stony Brook.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)