Apr 21, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Georgia added some depth to its front court Sunday afternoon, as Howard (Texas) College product Cameron Forte announced his decision to attend the SEC school via his Twitter account.
Forte, a native of Tempe, Arizona, first enrolled at Texas Tech and was originally expected to join Jack Murphy’s program at Northern Arizona before ultimately landing at Howard.
Transferring to Howard instead of NAU allowed Forte to play without having to sit out a season and he was productive in his one campaign at Howard, averaging 22.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. Forte, who will have three years of eligibility remaining at Georgia, also accounted for 2.6 assists per game and shot 63% from the field.
Forte becomes the fourth member of Mark Fox’s 2013 recruiting class, joining 6-6 forward Kenny Paul Geno (Booneville, Miss.), 5-10 guard J.J. Frazier (Glennville, Ga.) and 6-5 guard Juwan Parker (Tulsa, Okla.).
Forte’s rebounding ability will be needed considering the fact that the Bulldogs have to replace their leading scorer and rebounder in guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Caldwell-Pope decided to enter the 2013 NBA Draft, forgoing his final two seasons of eligibility.
Forwards Donté Williams (4.8 rpg) and Nemanja Djurisic (4.2 rpg) are Georgia’s most productive returnees in regards to rebounding, and in 2012-13 the Bulldogs ranked sixth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (69.5%).
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 2
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (4)