Apr 21, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Georgia added some depth to its front court Sunday afternoon, as Howard (Texas) College product Cameron Forte announced his decision to attend the SEC school via his Twitter account.
Just committed to the University of Georgia on a full ride scholarship to play basketball !—
Cameron Forte (@Smoothiewhatup) April 21, 2013
Forte, a native of Tempe, Arizona, first enrolled at Texas Tech and was originally expected to join Jack Murphy’s program at Northern Arizona before ultimately landing at Howard.
Transferring to Howard instead of NAU allowed Forte to play without having to sit out a season and he was productive in his one campaign at Howard, averaging 22.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. Forte, who will have three years of eligibility remaining at Georgia, also accounted for 2.6 assists per game and shot 63% from the field.
Forte becomes the fourth member of Mark Fox’s 2013 recruiting class, joining 6-6 forward Kenny Paul Geno (Booneville, Miss.), 5-10 guard J.J. Frazier (Glennville, Ga.) and 6-5 guard Juwan Parker (Tulsa, Okla.).
Forte’s rebounding ability will be needed considering the fact that the Bulldogs have to replace their leading scorer and rebounder in guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Caldwell-Pope decided to enter the 2013 NBA Draft, forgoing his final two seasons of eligibility.
Forwards Donté Williams (4.8 rpg) and Nemanja Djurisic (4.2 rpg) are Georgia’s most productive returnees in regards to rebounding, and in 2012-13 the Bulldogs ranked sixth in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (69.5%).
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Michigan lands 2014 commitment from guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman (4)