Apr 21, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
On the day that the Georgia basketball program added a recruit who played a year in Texas it was reported that an assistant coach may be headed to the Lone Star State to join a former boss.
According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, TCU head coach Trent Johnson is expected to add current Georgia assistant Kwanza Johnson to his staff. Johnson, who has been an assistant under Mark Fox for the last six seasons (three at Nevada), would replace former TCU assistant Pooh Williamson.
Williamson recently joined Tubby Smith’s staff at Texas Tech, reuniting with the man who coached him during his playing days at Tulsa during the mid-1990s.
During his time at Nevada, Johnson was responsible for working with the front court players, helping tutor both Nick Fazekas, Javale McGee and Luke Babbitt.
Fazekas won his third WAC Player of the Year award and was also an All-America selection during his one season under Johnson, while Babbitt won WAC Newcomer of the Year in 2009 and was a first team All-WAC selection in each of his two seasons in Reno.
A native of Tulsa, Johnson played a key role in the recruitment of Georgia signee Juwan Parker.
“My family has a good relationship with coach Kwanza and coach Fox, and Georgia has one of the best business schools in the country,” Parker told the Tulsa World when announcing his decision last August.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)