Apr 21, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
On the day that the Georgia basketball program added a recruit who played a year in Texas it was reported that an assistant coach may be headed to the Lone Star State to join a former boss.
According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, TCU head coach Trent Johnson is expected to add current Georgia assistant Kwanza Johnson to his staff. Johnson, who has been an assistant under Mark Fox for the last six seasons (three at Nevada), would replace former TCU assistant Pooh Williamson.
Williamson recently joined Tubby Smith’s staff at Texas Tech, reuniting with the man who coached him during his playing days at Tulsa during the mid-1990s.
During his time at Nevada, Johnson was responsible for working with the front court players, helping tutor both Nick Fazekas, Javale McGee and Luke Babbitt.
Fazekas won his third WAC Player of the Year award and was also an All-America selection during his one season under Johnson, while Babbitt won WAC Newcomer of the Year in 2009 and was a first team All-WAC selection in each of his two seasons in Reno.
A native of Tulsa, Johnson played a key role in the recruitment of Georgia signee Juwan Parker.
“My family has a good relationship with coach Kwanza and coach Fox, and Georgia has one of the best business schools in the country,” Parker told the Tulsa World when announcing his decision last August.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)